Help I have a new puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to akittrell
Help I have a new puppy

I am a vet tech and I am very knowlegable in helping animals however I am new to raising a GSD. I have 4 other dogs. i have to min schnauzers in the house a black mouth cur and spitz outside. I have the puppy in right now but he will be going outside i have not socialized him with my outside dogs yet i was afraid they would hurt him by playing to rough. should i start introducing them now? any advice is welcome i just want a happy and healthy puppy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 11:00 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ChancetheGSD Send a message via Yahoo to ChancetheGSD
He should be socialized to your dogs already and he should be out socializing with people and other animals that you know are vaccinated and of good temperament. You should also look into puppy classes for early socialization and training.

Besides that, what is the point of getting a dog if it's just going to live outside? German Shepherds thrive on being with their pack INSIDE.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 11:13 AM
Knighted Member

Welcome akittrell and congratulations on your new family member. As a vet tech you know about the vaccines. At six weeks, I would monitor the activity between your pack. Introduce slowly and keep a close eye on your group. You do want to continue to keep the separation as you've been doing so that you can work on and strengthen your own bonding with your new family member but letting the pup interact with the other dogs (under supervision!) for a while should be fine.

Being a vet tech, you may be tempted to take him in to the vet more often. I would avoid that and would carry him whenever you take him in for his checks and shots. Same for whenever a lot of dogs may frequent-keep him off the ground!

Going beyond what you asked here, as you get a few more weeks in and the puppy has had a couple of rounds of vaccinations, you will want to pick up his socialization around the house and outside:

Here are a couple of older links to help get you started:

Socialization checklist

Socialization w/dogs

How to socialize

A couple of links on different stages a puppy may go through:

Development Stages

Puppies 1st night to 1st Year

There are a lot of good reading/research down in the puppy sections if just go through the threads. You may find topics that you want to ask about already there. Happy reading and research and have fun with your new family member!

Samuel

Lancer 05/01/08
Tory 09/19/14

Kayla (RIP) 02/12/05-09/22/14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 11:18 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChancetheGSD View Post
He should be socialized to your dogs already and he should be out socializing with people and other animals that you know are vaccinated and of good temperament. You should also look into puppy classes for early socialization and training.

Besides that, what is the point of getting a dog if it's just going to live outside? German Shepherds thrive on being with their pack INSIDE.
The puppy is only 6 weeks old-he should NOT be out socializing with other animals other than the other animals in the household-other people maybe. That's really bad advice for a 6 week old puppy.

Samuel

Lancer 05/01/08
Tory 09/19/14

Kayla (RIP) 02/12/05-09/22/14
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 11:40 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ChancetheGSD Send a message via Yahoo to ChancetheGSD
Excuse me for not realizing it's a 6 week old puppy when there wasn't a mention of the age.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 11:41 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayla's Dad View Post
The puppy is only 6 weeks old-he should NOT be out socializing with other animals other than the other animals in the household-other people maybe. That's really bad advice for a 6 week old puppy.
Actually, as long as the other animals are KNOWN (as in good tempered and vaccinated) it's VERY good advice.

My Crested puppies had their first big outing at 5 weeks of age. I took them to my breeders house where they got to play with other Crested puppies their age, meet a couple adult Cresteds and lots of people. At 3 weeks of age I took them to see the stud dog's owner at the kennel where she worked. She, the groomer and a couple customers all handled them AFTER they used a hand sanitizer.

Early socialization is KEY to raising a dog that is ok being around other dogs.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to akittrell
Sorry I should have stated his age he is actually 7 weeks today and he has only had his first round of shots. I should have also been more clear on where he will be living he will indoor and outdoor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page