Socializing before shots? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Socializing before shots?

I see a lot of people taking their pups places who by my calculations havent had all their parvo boosters. I was advised by the Vet to not even walk around the neighborhood before all 4 were done. (although, I do walk him through the neighborhood on a 4 foot leash with close supervision). Is it safe now after 3 rounds of parvo shots to take Clover out into the general population? I want to get him out there too but he isnt "ready" for 3 more weeks.

Where are good places to get them out there?

~Robin~
Proud Mommy to Clover 11/26/09
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

as well as not so furry babies, Christopher (5) and Laci (2)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 05:08 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiapeach717 View Post
I see a lot of people taking their pups places who by my calculations havent had all their parvo boosters. I was advised by the Vet to not even walk around the neighborhood before all 4 were done. (although, I do walk him through the neighborhood on a 4 foot leash with close supervision). Is it safe now after 3 rounds of parvo shots to take Clover out into the general population? I want to get him out there too but he isnt "ready" for 3 more weeks.

Where are good places to get them out there?
If you are with friends and their healthy dogs. Or in areas with few dogs. Then I take the teeny risk of my pup getting sick over the HUGE ISSUES from lack of early socialization. Our young pups go thru stages and if you aren't supporting them and exposing them properly during these stages (and miss them waiting for your shots) then you can never really get the time back and have your pup 'be all that it can be'.

So I always use my common sense. For instance a dog park would be a BAD place to take a puppy before it's shots. But puppy classes with other people as nuts about their puppy as I am that they are also paying for and attending the sessions???? Chances are these pups are FINE!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 05:15 PM
Crowned Member

I'm with MRL on this. I started taking my puppy out and about the second day I had him at 8 weeks of age. I did not take him to any place with large numbers of unknown dogs, but did take him all around the neighborhood and around my friends' dogs and dog school. My dog school only has crazy people that compete all the time and have been going there forever and I know almost all of them - not a PetSmart type of place.

Elaine and the herd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

ah gotcha! thank you!

do you think i have missed the boat at 12 weeks? He was a pretty good boy with the love and hugs from 5 little girls across the street he had never met before last night!

~Robin~

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 05:35 PM
Crowned Member

You can't ever say what could have been, just what can be. Start now getting him out and about and go from there and see what happens.That's the best you can do.

You can never socialize enough and I still socialize my dog at every opportunity and will continue to do that for his entire life.

Elaine and the herd
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

i have been searching dog events and clubs and classes since posting this in another winder. I am really intersted in the wolf brook club close to me. I am kind of lost starting to look, but getting there. I also found a German Shepherd Club of Atlanta that I may look into joining for more outlets and shows

Thanks guys!!

~Robin~

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 06:24 PM
Knighted Member

I agree with MRL and Elaine here. As far as where to take him, start building a list of places in your area and of things to do and introduce him to around the house. Here's a pretty good list of ideas to get you started here: And don't forget MRL's comment about using common sense

Puppy socialization checklist

Socialization checklist

As far as your bet's recommendation, take a look at this article-and considered referring your vet to it so he can update his advice-this came out in 2008:

AVSAB position paper on Puppy Socialization

Get out and have fun!

Samuel

Lancer 05/01/08
Tory 09/19/14

Kayla (RIP) 02/12/05-09/22/14
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thank you Samuel I appreciate the links!

~Robin~

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 08:25 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine View Post

You can never socialize enough and I still socialize my dog at every opportunity and will continue to do that for his entire life.
Quote:
do you think i have missed the boat at 12 weeks? He was a pretty good boy with the love and hugs from 5 little girls across the street he had never met before last night!
At 12 weeks I certainly don't think it's too late at all. Specially cause he sounds wonderful, you just want to KEEP him wonderful by continuing to take him out and about and expose him to as much as he can handle.

If you have puppy classes available, that's truly the most ideal. I met people when I trained my first dogs over 15 years ago, and they are still my friends (and their dogs!!!).

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

i am looking into puppy classes. The petsmart ones are kinda pricey and the ones for him start with "sit" and "down" and beggining "come"...which he knows all of already. I am really looking foward to a dog park recommended to me by Southern Thistle when he gets the last set of Parvo next month and he will be going to the kids playground with me as much as his belly can handle. (he just started having vomit issues last week for the first time ever when in a car). I also plan on just having him out to watch and see kids playing when it warms up outside and of course the inevitable walk of fame through petsmart, lol. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to make some friends for me and Clover both! That would be ideal!

~Robin~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page