Clover's 12 week check up - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Clover's 12 week check up

My baby is 27 pounds...and looks AWFUL!!!! All tests have come back fine, and doc says he is "at the skinniest he wants to see him" I am to add wet canned food to his dry kibble and no more "waiting out the stubbornness". He is so scrawny looking in the belly at I was actually embarassed!!!! Doc says that he was on the verge of prescribing me dog food they give to ABUSED dogs who come in emaciated!!!!! I feel like a HORRIBLE mom and I am going to be working HARD on getting him good! We have a 10 pound weight gain goal for the next visit by next month.

Please pray I can get him looking like he should!

Other than that he loved on all the vet techs, made a very old female weimereiner shake with anxiety when he barked with his butt in the air and I was ashamed that he caused the 15 year old gal to shake so bad! And then....as he is now learning to do at every visit...he fell asleep in the exam room! LMAO!!!!

today 27.1 pounds at 12 weeks and a day. (last visit he was right at 20 pounds at 9 weeks and a day)

~Robin~
Proud Mommy to Clover 11/26/09
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

as well as not so furry babies, Christopher (5) and Laci (2)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

OH!!! And one girl who works there asked about his name and I was STOKED when she finished my sentence and said how very cool it was that I named him after the dog in Stephen King's new book "Under the Dome".

~Robin~

post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 09:48 PM
Elite Member

Good luck with your boy. Just curious though, since a lot of people are used to seeing over weight dogs, and Clover should be entering the gangly awkward stage. Do you think you could post recent pics of your boy so we can see just how scrawny he is. lol Whenever we do weight checks. lol we need pics that look like this....these were from when I first got Dakota. You basically want one from the side. And one from above.

-Kira

Fur Family:
Dakota "Koda" GSD 02/20/2008
Chloe Calico 9/21/2007

"The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

i will get pics posted in the morning....he is finally quiet in the crate downstairs!

I can tell you he is WAY thinner than your boy there. At 15 weeks, or even 20 weeks I would get the gangly phase...but he is only 12 weeks and should NOT be this skinny.

I appreciate all the help though and will be sure to post pics tomorrow.

~Robin~

post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 10:23 PM
Elite Member

Not a problem. That was at 19 months, but I understand what you mean. Looking forward to pics tomorrow. If he is underweight I know there are threads on here for dogs that need to gain weight. And has he still been having soft poop? And I'm guessing he is still not eating as well as he should?

-Kira

Fur Family:
Chloe Calico 9/21/2007

"The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too"
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

well he has been snubbing his kibble (keep in mind that I went with the Innova after DAYS of research and even after he chose two different ones himself, I went agrainst even his wants. (he *is* the one eating it, ya know?) anyhow he *should* be eating 2-3 cups per meal 2 Xs a day....I am LUCKY if he eats 2 cups a day TOTAL! That would be the equivilant of us just eating breakfast every day...sure its going to sustain life...but we are going to look like crap doing it! (or super thin...which may be a new diet option for myself! ha!) Anyhow the doc wants me to try the richer canned foods and use 1/2 a can per meal mixed with kibble. I dont want to be roasted for following a doctor's orders, so I wont say what he is eating now...but his first meal was SCARFED down with begging for more and included 2 1/2 cups of kibble and 1/2 can of wet food. The vet likes the idea of me giving him the raw foods too (but did the usual warning against pork and chicken and salmonella with 2 small kids in the house) and wants me to continue the meaty treats too. I am thinking we may have hit pay dirt with a combo now and only 3 weeks will tell! He was a very lovable happy boy after eating such a big meal earlier...and I got all teary when he gave me kisses after finishing it all! I was so happy! I felt so bad for fretting so much over his welfare and he still was considered "maxed out skinny wise" by a vet who is awesome, and also does NOT support overweight dogs and DOES support Raw foods. (he is awesome!) I am also going to be trying the meat tenderizer tomorrow to work on the Coprophagia too. His poo has been on and off firm wise depending on the day really...and now that he is eating wet food, i know wet poo is coming...but it is all secondary to me. Right now I just want my baby boy to be healthy!

Thanks for letting me ramble on!

~Robin~

post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

To add....his kibble has NOT changed. He is still on the Innova LB Puppy

~Robin~

post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 10:57 PM
Elite Member

You can't tease me like that Robin... not fair. What canned do you have him on? I was going to say if he needed to have canned added, there are lots that are great for mixing in with kibble. Eagle pack Holistic select is quite..... mushy so it mixes well. I am so Glad little clover is eating. Also since he still has some tummy upset, I would still add in a tad bit of canned plain pumpkin to help his tummy settle, plus pups think its yummy!

-Kira

Fur Family:
Chloe Calico 9/21/2007

post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

I do need to get the canned pumpkin still....thanks for reminding me as I am shopping in the morning. The canned food is very rich in nutrients, but the doc assured me the "small" amount per day is not going to have more negative effects than positive. Right now I will leave it as the same company makes both his kibble and his canned.

~Robin~

post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 11:00 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to VaBeachFamily Send a message via Yahoo to VaBeachFamily
2-3 cups per meal, two meals a day?

Wow.. I believe with CUllen, the TOTW serving size at his weight is like.. 1 1/2 or 2 cups per day! But then.. I only give him about.. 3/4 to a cup in the morning with a bit of wet TOTW.. and dinner he gets half of his recomended RAW....

~Kristi in Virginia Beach
Mommy to my 8 year old son... and

~ Cullen Vom Sandstranden, Purebred GSD, Black/Red Male : 12/16/09

~ Panzer Vom Sandstranden, Purebred GSD, Sable Female : 11/29/10

~ Gizmo , Amstaff, Brindle/White Female : 5/5/2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page