Newbie, my first post for Prince - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Newbie, my first post for Prince

My first post here. I have a white German Shepherd, 1yo 3 weeks ago. Got him as a pup. Wonderful dog. Very smart. House broke when he was 3 months, still trying to overcome him tearing up my yard and chewing things up though, LOL. He is my 3rd Shepherd, my first white one. Got him for my 2 and 4yo to grow up with. I have never seen such a loving, gentle dog. First of all, he has never once snapped, growled or made any aggression toward a person ever, not even as a pup. You can even grab at his food when he eating and he does nothing. This is wonderful and I understand that the white breed does tend to be more gentle. I am just wondering if he will ever get any sense of territory and become a protector? This came natural for other dogs I have had and he just doesn't seem to have it. If someone we didn't know came in the house or one of us was threatened, the way he is now, he would just try to be their best buddy. Is there anything I should or can do here, should I be concerned, or should I just let nature take it's course and let him be who he is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 10:38 AM
Crowned Member

Don't be so sure your dog would not be protective in the right situation. We don't want dogs that treat every stranger as a threat - we want them to be able to 'read' the situation.

I've posted here before about my gsdx, Seiko, who I adopted at 2 1/2. She was named Seiko because my mom said she would be a great watch dog - she would watch anyone take anything.

I had her many years, she loved everyone, welcomed everyone into our home, greeted the mailman, the meter reader and people of all ages, sizes and appearances.

Until one night a car full of boys pulled up beside my truck - at dusk, in front of my house as I parked.

My gentle Seiko jumped from the back seat, across me and stood between my truck and boys, feet firmly planted, barking and snarling- they couldn't leave fast enough. All before I could even register that this was a threatening situation.

Be glad you have a very good, socialized dog. And hope you never have to find out what she is capable of under bad circumstances. I very much doubt he would be their best buddy then.

Bonnie

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

With approval from:
Skye, CGC & certified therapy dog (GSD)
Buddy, CGC & certified therapy dog (golden, tripod)

RIP
Sophie - the life was too short dog
Solo - CGC, AAT 'stars in the sky dog'
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 10:47 AM
Elite Member

Welcome to the forum. Prince sounds like a wonderful dog and from the picture in your Avatar very handsome. He is still very young and may become more protective as he continues to mature.
He may already be more protective than you think. Eli, my last Shepherd (who died in May at almost 9 was definitely a lover, not a fighter. When a stranger came in the house he would greet them as a friend, but I realized he was taking his cues from us. If we were accepting, happy to see the "stranger" so was Eli, but if we were hesitant or did not like the stranger Eli would bark and go into protect mode.
I think GSD's are very perceptive about people. It could be that Prince has not yet met anyone he perceives as a threat.

Benedict GSD 4/13/09
Pippin GR 2/6/14

Waiting at the Bridge
Eli GSD
Chopper APBT
Raphael GSD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 06:41 PM
Master Member

welcome! Prince is beautiful!!! housebroken at 3 months...man am I jealous!!!!

~Robin~
Proud Mommy to Clover 11/26/09

as well as not so furry babies, Christopher (5) and Laci (2)

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Thank you. He was nearly 4 months, but still 3 I was already getting worried that he would not learn so I started looking on the net for the best methods and decided to try the kennel method. It worked with him nearly overnight. We started keeping him in the kennel at night and letting him out once for a fast trip to the yard in the middle of the night (the trip at night was easy for us because we just got through with 2 babbies) It was only about 2 weeks before we just starting putting him in the kennel when we went to bed and letting him out when we got up, not letting him have water the last couple hours we were up and letting him go right before we went to bed. He stopped having accidents in the house immediately after we started this. I guess as a result of the kennel, something clicked in his head that outside was the propper place to go. I read that dogs do not like to go where they lay. A kennel (the right size for him was about $90 at Wal-Mart) gives them an environment they don't want to go in and teaches them to hold it. I was very sceptical at first and thought it would be torture for a dog, but he loves his kennel. Thinking back, training other dogs I had was torture compared to this one.
He definitely does not want to be in his kennel all the time, but it offers him a sense of security. He's always happy to go it it at night to sleep (we leave the door open now) and he runs into it anytime he get's in trouble, or feels threatened. It's also a great tool for training. We use it for a time out. WE say "go to your cage" He goes right in there. We lock the door and leave him in there 10 or 15 minutes. Seems to help bad behavior.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input skye'smom and debbieg. I guess I'm not too awful concerned about it. I'm just use to a dog that stands his ground. Even if he never does, we will still love him. It is fantastic for the time being that he has no agressive behavior at all considering he is around small children all the time. The dog I had when I was an adolescent would run beside me when I rode my bike miles away from home. I remember him taking on a couple other dogs that ran after me and whippin their butts. I guess the days of kids riding their bikes for miles and loose dogs are a thing of the past for the most part. I took a couple dog bites when I was a kid too and nobody got sued. The folks just went to their house and did some cussing.
The wife and I have even tried play hitting each other to see how he would react. He just seems to know we are playing and wants in on the fun. I guess there is no fooling him. He gets along with other dogs too, even cats, LOL.. WE have 2. They are meaner to the 90 pound dog than he is to them. I guess we'll just have to wait him out.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 10:22 PM
Knighted Member

Just wanted to say hi and welcome...and that my husband grew up in Blue Springs!

Paisley and TJ
Leyna and Levi, RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page