Can't stop this barking...hes driving me crazy!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Can't stop this barking...hes driving me crazy!!

Harley's barking is driving me bananas. At first things were great, he would rarely bark. We have been socializing him like crazy, he comes everywhere I go, and he has been great. We take him to the dog park everyday for an hour or two, most days we are there 2 times just so he can run and play with the other dogs and we need him to wear out.

I am from a very small town and the dog park we have isn't too big. Every dog goes there so you pretty much get to know every dog that goes there. Because we do go there so often, I think maybe this is where he picked up this uncontrollable barking because if he does bark, its mainly only at dogs. It used to be that he would only bark at the dogs at the park, but now its when we are in the vehicle and sometimes on walks (only at dogs). Same at home, he'll just sit outside and watch people and cars. As soon as a dog goes by.....oh my gosh!

It is now starting to evolve to when anyone (anyone meaning even all the family members including me) walks in the door, he barks. I don't know how to get him to stop. I reward if quiet but most times he is so wound up he just wont listen, no matter if the is food or not.

If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it!!

Harley: DOB September 27, 2009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 08:09 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Can't stop this barking...hes driving me crazy!!

Find something that he likes to bark at and you agree is OK to bark at - put a name on the behavior and you will, if you work on it you will be able to teach your dog to bark on command. That gives them the idea that you have something to do with saying when to bark. From there, you can have a better chance of teaching enough!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 08:16 PM
Master Member

I'd be interested in this too. At home, we can get Siena to stop barking (80% of the time), but when out and about, she barks at dogs, kids, people walking... of course not everyone, only specific ones...

He is still young though, unlike my 'monster' who is 3+

Wait til he starts barking and whining... that's really fun! (not!)

Diana - owned by Siena Rose (Oct 29, 2006)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 08:22 PM
Knighted Member

We use the command quite and it seems to work....maybe try distracting him when something catches his eye?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 09:06 PM
Elite Member

I'm having this problem with Sigurd. He barks like he wants to play though, wags his tail and get's really hyper and focused on another dog. Nothing I seem to do helps, he completely ignores me. I could hold out his favourite treats on the planet, his favourite toys, but he doesn't care or listen when he's barking!

Thanks for posting this!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

That's Harley, not an aggressive bark, but he wants to play and get attention.

Thanks for advice...

Harley: DOB September 27, 2009
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 08:00 PM

Like another poster said below, teach your dog a command to Bark, but also a command to stop barking.

Also if your pup can't stop barking put allitle peanut butter on the top of his mouth. It will keep him quiet for alittle while :P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page