Shy GSD? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to Miikkas mom
Shy GSD?

Our new pup is about 16 weeks old. I think she is shy. When we take her out for walks and we run into another walker (usually with a dog), she’ll hide behind me. She will let the person pet her and the dog sniff at her but I can tell she doesn’t like it and is very timid. Then as soon as we get home she runs right into her crate…almost like she is “hiding”. She will be starting puppy classes tomorrow. I hope this helps. Also, I wonder if we are babying her too much, which is making her shy somehow. Any thoughts and/or suggestions?

Thanks!
Cheryl

Momma to:
Miikka, 2-year old F Black & Red WGSL
Scout, 5 year F calico cat

Waiting at the Rainbow Bridge:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bella, 15 yr old GSD/Chow chow mix
Annie, 16 yr old Black Cocker Spaniel
Socks, 15 yr old Tuxedo cat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 12:26 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Shy GSD?

What do you do when she hides? Don't coddle her or comfort her, telling her "its alright" she'll think the behavior is ok.
Instead you need to build her confidence. When she hides like that, distract her with a treat or bring a toy she loves along to distract, and ignore her hiding, just go on with your walk at a brisk pace. I wouldn't let other dogs approach her for now, or people for that matter, if she wants to do the first sniff, that would be ok.
At puppy class:
Do not let the trainer or anyone correct her. She needs to gain confidence and if she gets corrected, then her confidence will just deflate.
Praise her for all good actions, behaviors and ignore or re-direct the ones you don't want for now.
Have lots of treats(I use string cheese and natural balance log rolls cut up) and use them while doing obedience, clickers are great, too!
Don't let her be overwhelmed and at puppy class if she looks like she is, take a break and let her observe from afar.
The book On talking terms with dogs: calming signals by Turid Rugaas is great for reading body language.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to Miikkas mom
Re: Shy GSD?

Thanks Jane! I think she had fun today, once we got there. She does get sick in the car (I've posted a question on this issue on another thread) and I know she's not too keen on car rides. But once we were there, I think she had fun with the other puppies.

When we first got there she was a little timid but she eventually joined in the fun!

Cheryl

Momma to:
Miikka, 2-year old F Black & Red WGSL
Scout, 5 year F calico cat

Waiting at the Rainbow Bridge:

Bella, 15 yr old GSD/Chow chow mix
Annie, 16 yr old Black Cocker Spaniel
Socks, 15 yr old Tuxedo cat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page