Encouraging Strangers? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Encouraging Strangers?

I was wondering how to encourage strangers to interact and help socialize a puppy rather than walking by and ignoring him? I want to be sure that my dog is well socialized, but normally the only time any adult stops to pet the Frenchies when we're walking is if their kids want to pet them.

How can I encourage those in my neighborhood to interact with my pup, rather than be ignored?

Ozzy - Chocolate Pom
-FDCh-G
-TF-III
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 12:04 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Encouraging Strangers?

I was told by a wonderful working line breeder that dogs don't have to be petted by strangers to be socialized. Just being around them is good enough.

Akbar 6 years
Isa 10 years
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 12:13 AM
Crowned Member

Maybe take the puppy to parks or to outdoor events? People are more likely to come up to you to ask to pet them if you are sitting or static in one particular area than while you are walking down the street.

Also once they are vaccinated you can visit pet stores.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: ChicagocanineAlso once they are vaccinated you can visit pet stores.
Does that mean after the first round, or after all of the puppy vaccinations?

Now that you mention about being in one spot though - I realized that a lot of people come to pet Sania when I'm throwing her ball for her in the park. I think the fact that she's off-leash makes it less intimidating?

Ozzy - Chocolate Pom
-FDCh-G
-TF-III

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 12:37 AM
Crowned Member

how old is your pup?

After Sage's 2nd set of shots I started taking him into petsmart he rode in the cart with a blanket down in the bottom. He could still see/hear/smell everything and I had a lot of people gushing over him.

-Brandi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
6-5-09

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 12:55 AM
Crowned Member

Fully vaccinated means two weeks after the last round of puppy shots - about 18 weeks.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

As of right now, I don't have one, but after I'm confident I've done enough research to own one and have the time/financial ability to pay for one (and get my mom's approval), I'm going to get one.

I'd love to him to Petsmart and other pet stores. Lots of pet lovers there! Just wasn't sure at which point in the puppy vaccination schedule that would be feasible.

There's this one pet store in particular that I found that offers the CGC tests once a month, does a lot of sponsoring, and is a part of the community rather than 'just' a pet store. They're not that far from here, either.

Ozzy - Chocolate Pom
-FDCh-G
-TF-III

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 02:59 AM
Crowned Member

I also forgot to add, I would check if there are any puppy kindergarten classes in your area if you aren't already in one. They can help a lot with socialization.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 06:51 AM
Crowned Member

I took Rayden and sat on the benches outside Wal-Mart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page