My pups weight - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

My pups weight

Had a question for those of you that kept track of your pups weight alot. Damian is 19 weeks old today. The last time I weighed him was two weeks ago, in which he was 45.6 pounds. I weighed him again today in which he was 47 pounds. Not much of a difference in the two weeks. Is it just a slow down part of the puppy stage in which he will get another growth spurt later on? He is definitely not skinny, so I'm not worried about that. Just curious is all. Thanks for the guidance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 02:52 PM
Elite Member

Re: My pups weight

I weighed Zeva last Mon or Tues at about 15+ wks and she was 29lbs. I've recently wormed her, she had roundworm really bad when we got her and now she's putting on weight. She looks good, a little lean, but not skinny. She'll gain, I'm sure. I've read where they can do about 2.5 a week/10lbs a month. I'm going to weigh her tomorrow to see how much she's changed.

She's got days were she eats like a pig and other days that she hardly touches her food. It's almost 3 pm and she's not had a nibble of food yet. I'm not sure if it's the weather, it's been raining all day long, really yucky, or if she's just not hungry and is tired. Who knows, kids sleep a lot when they grow, maybe that's what she's doing today.

Zeva Female GSD 10/02/2009
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Waiting at the Bridge:
Buddy ~ GSD/Husky mix 1/00
Sadie ~ GSD 10/05
Lady ~ GSD 5/09
Pepper ~ Beagle 12/09
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 02:58 PM
Crowned Member

They go thru stages. My pup gained an average of 3# a week.
It plateaue'd around 20 weeks(teething was heavy).
Then he spurted again at about 6 mos.
As long as he feels good by your hands, I wouldn't worry about weight, scalewise.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Well, Damian doesn't have a problem eating, thats for sure. Eats all three of his meals in the matter of seconds. I noticed he's not as lean as he used to be, I don't think he is overweight by any means. I usually add a little extra Orijen to his NV RAW, maybe I should slow it down. At 10pm or so, he throws up bile on occasion, so I try to feed him a snack sometimes.

I guess I just thought it was weird how fast he was gaining and then it just stopped.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 03:03 PM
Crowned Member

You may want to put him on 2 meals a day . That is when I changed Karlo's schedule(he is rawfed). And I had to give a latenight snack, too! He would get sick in the early morning otherwise.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Always in my heart
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 03:11 PM

They all have growth spurts at different times. My girl is 20 weeks as of yesterday and she was 40 - 41 lbs. I do keep her on the thin side. This is getting near the age there weight gain slows down quite a bit.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

I have been lead to believe the best time to switch to two meals a day was around 6 months of age? Any input on that?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 03:21 PM
Crowned Member

Whatever makes you feel comfortable.
I wanted my pup on the lean side, and 3x a day when feeding raw was more difficult to get portions balanced and not overfeed(bone weight/ harder to manage) so it was easier for me to just change the schedule when his growth slowed.
At 10.5 mos he is 85# and 27" so 2x's a day didn't hurt his growth!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Always in my heart
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Well, 6 months is only about a month away so I'll just hold off until then. I would prefer Damian to be on the lean side as well, I just need to find that happy medium.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page