Introducing a new 2 yr old to my 9 mo pup - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Introducing a new 2 yr old to my 9 mo pup

We have been thinking about getting our 9 month old GSD a companion and have found a 2 yr old male Border Collie cross that souds perfect. He is well trained, obedient and great with other dogs/kids/cats etc as per the owners words (we are meeting him tomorrow!).

If all goes well with our meeting (without our pup Fletcher), we will bring Tai (the collie) home for a week trial and see how we all get on together.

So - any tips for introducing Tai to Fletcher and her accepting him as a new family member?

We have put Fletcher in day care on Saturday so we can have a few hours with Tai at home letting him sniff the place out and get used to us, then I'll take Tai to the park while hubby picks up Fletcher and brings her to meet us in neutral territory. Fletcher just LOVES other dogs and is so friendly and playful, and apparently Tai is the same (he lives with another dog now) so I can't envisage any aggression problems (although I know you can never truly tell). Fletcher has also been fine with having other dogs over to our house and playing in the back yard, but I guess it will be different for her to have a permanent addition rather than a play date for an hour or so?

So yeah - any tips on introducing them and having them get along would be great

Fletcher - our baby girl GSD - 18th April 2009
Tai - male border collie x huntaway - 1st January 2008
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 12:04 AM
Elite Member

Re: Introducing a new 2 yr old to my 9 mo pup

Important you need to introduce them somewhere neutral first. Like a park so neither will feel territorial. And you need to pay attention to their body language closely. Hope all goes well and you are able to adopt him.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your DOG. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. ~ Anonymous

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 01:22 AM
Crowned Member

I don't think I would bring the new dog into the house first. I usually introduce new fosters and adopted dogs on neutral territory and then take them for a long walk together and bring the dog home.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 01:32 AM
Master Member

I would agree with the neutral territory meeting in a place that neither dog has been before. Let them meet then attempt some semblance of a pack walk followed by some play before heading home.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys - all went well and we now have another addition to the family they love each other so much!!

Fletcher - our baby girl GSD - 18th April 2009
Tai - male border collie x huntaway - 1st January 2008
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page