3.5 month gsd barking!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

3.5 month gsd barking!!

i brought shane home yesterday he was pretty kool and calm, all the sudden my neighbours started shouting, shane started barking at them and they got scared and went inside. he also barked at my lil brother and now he is scared,. how should i socialize??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 01:43 AM
Banned

Re: 3.5 month gsd barking!!

I would introduce your pup to people out away from home and give the people some treats to give to him to show that meeting strangers is a good thing and not something to be afraid or wary of.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 02:02 AM
Crowned Member

head over to the Puppy Secton: Development & Socialization

there is also a great thread over there https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...e=1#Post698128

Try to take your pup everywhere possible. Expose him to as many sights and sounds as possible (ex..traffic, parks, stores). Have people dress up wearing big coats hats sunglasses all kinds of different things....ALWAYS have treats on hand. He may be close to a fear stage as well...keep it all positive

-Brandi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
6-5-09

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 02:12 AM Thread Starter

thanks guys
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 08:06 AM
Knighted Member

Your neighbors are afraid of a 3.5 month old pup? Sheesh, how are they going to react when he is fully grown? Agree with the above posts - socialization and more socialization. My dogs get that for their entire lives, but it has to start when they are very young. He is also new in your household, so you need to begin formal OB training immediately so that he understands his place in your pack (at the bottom, after everyone else). This way he will learn when it's OK to bark (as an alert) or if it's a situation that you and your family can handle, and he should ignore, or at least stop barking when you give him a command. ("Leave it" is one of the most useful commands you can train your dog to respond to, because it has so many applications.) Make sure that everyone participates in the training - you all need to be on the same page.

Anja GSD
Conor GSD - adopted from this Board
Blue GSD - waiting at the Bridge
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 04:15 AM Thread Starter

today he barked at my neices who were playing in the yard they were 3 and 1 yr old. they got so scared that they started crying. now they are too afraid to come near him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page