Dog Park for 8 weeks old? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Dog Park for 8 weeks old?

Big Deebo Brown turns 8 weeks this week, and will be getting his second set of shots tomorrow. Am I okay to take him out to the dog park yet? He has a 7 month old pup to play with in my 1800sq ft backyard, but I want to socialize him more.

I have no idea if it is too soon.

Deebo, Black/Tan 10-21-09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 04:30 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Dog Park for 8 weeks old?

I would never take a baby like that to a dog park. If you want to socialize him keep him on a leash, in your arms...then maybe. But I think 8 weeks is way to early to be around that many dogs that you don't know who well they are trained.

post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted By: KG K9I have no idea if it is too soon.
it most definitely is. its not only a health concern, but a safety concern. many dog parks don't even allow dogs under 4 months old. i also prefer to have a better grasp on my pups training and personality before heading to a dog park (a lot of people are against them all together). there are many more aspects to properly socializing your dog... and dog parks are not necessary.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 04:33 PM
Crowned Member

Eight weeks and second set of shots???

That doesn't sound right either.

Stark didn't receive his first set until the eighth week.

Doesn't the vaccine schedule look like this:

1st - 8 weeks
2nd - 12 weeks
3rd/rabies - 16 weeks

I would never bring a 8 week old puppy to a dog park, or any park that has high dog traffic for that matter, too many things can be picked up or happen to your baby.

If you want to socialize him more, invite friends or neighbours over with happy, healthy, confident, puppy-friendly dogs over to your home.

ETA: I won't even bring my 8 month old puppy to a dog park. At this age, making sure your puppy has ONLY POSITIVE DOG/PEOPLE ENCOUNTERS IS ESSENTIAL to raising a confident, happy, well adjusted dog.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 04:35 PM

elisabeth - without getting on the subject of over vaccinating, its not uncommon for some vets to vaccinate at 6 weeks and recommend boosters every 2-3 weeks there after.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 04:36 PM
Crowned Member

I thought that vaccinating at 6 weeks was usless? I understand that some do, it's just that I have never heard of a puppy getting their second set of vaccines so close together.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 04:39 PM
Knighted Member

Plus, pups that young can easily get under foot of bigger dogs and get injured by accident.

Paisley and TJ
Leyna and Levi, RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 04:45 PM
Crowned Member

Oh Gosh. No.

Quote:
Quote:
its not only a health concern, but a safety concern. many dog parks don't even allow dogs under 4 months old. I also prefer to have a better grasp on my pups training and personality before heading to a dog park (a lot of people are against them all together). there are many more aspects to properly socializing your dog... and dog parks are not necessary.
What she said.

Plus, most dog parks require that your dog be on a verbal leash (that you can recall them verbally). I can't imagine you'll have that sort of skill set built up. Puppies are babies, and most will follow you pretty much everywhere, but the distractions at the dog park are HUGE. (I teach recall as the first skill to my pups, and I certainly don't expect my 8 wk old pups to turn away from playing with other dogs and rush back to me).

Quite a few adult dogs don't tolerate puppies very well. A pup needs to have basic social and communication skills established so that he understands when a dog says "I don't want to play with you," and even "I don't like you." Otherwise, he can be harmed. I'm not talking about being harmed in the rough and tumble of play (although there's that, given the size difference). But I mean harmed by dogs that don't LIKE him because he is a puppy.

Dog parks can attract -- especially on weekends -- dogs that don't get out very often. These dogs aren't well socialized and often don't have great impulse control. This is no place for a youngster to be starting out. Even if he's not hurt, he can pick up some bad habits.

Puppies need to play with other puppies. Find a puppy class, or two. Find schools that have supervised puppy play. Find some people who have pups about the same age as yours (within a month or two). Yes, these steps take extra work. But in the long run, they're WELL worth it.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 04:55 PM
Knighted Member

God NO! Theres SO many things he can catch!
Wait until he gets all of his shots!
You dont want him catching parvo. Its a horrible disease!

Kilo- GSD
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

I'm under the assumption he WILL have all his shots.

But I will stay away. We took my g/fs 7 month old pup there and she didn't seem to like it.

The lady I got the dog from said the first shots were given, and the second set was due in 2 weeks, from the 5th of Dec.

I will check with my Vet tomorrow.

Thanks for the help. I had a feeling he was too young. I'll stick to playing around the house.

Deebo, Black/Tan 10-21-09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page