How do I catch up with missed opportunities - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

How do I catch up with missed opportunities

I have a GSD that is just over 2YO; he is not dog aggressive, but he is also not submissive. He is just energetic. On the few occasions that he was able to get around other dogs, he did the GSD thing, he became - Sir Barks-A-Lot.

A typical meeting with other dogs, or even just seeing another dog down the street or across the street, he goes into this alert stance and his focus is on the other dog. He gives this long hard stare.

Around my neighborhood, there are a lot of other dogs, and most of the people are intimidated when they see his hard stare. His tail is still wagging but a low sway wag. I have to say that if he was not on a leash he would run at the other dog to meet...one way or another. At least that is what I sensed.

Unfortunately during his obedience training, the training program did not include a social time period. Just a whole bunchof people showing up with their dogs and going through the commands / training. Afterwards, we all go our separate ways.

I would like to start some type of neighborhood dog social club; Any ideas? Should I try to hire a professional to help get things going?

I don't want my Mocha to be a Social butterfly, but I don't want him coming going to an alert posture just because he sees another dog.

BTW - I welcome any comments and I don't want to sound snobbish, but I have heard all I can about neutering...it's not in my plan.

Like I said he is not dog aggressive.

Slow is smooth, Smooth is Fast...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 08:49 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Re: How do I catch up with missed opportunities

Quote:
Quote:I don't want to sound snobbish, but I have heard all I can about neutering
First time I've heard someone refuse to neuter their dog cause they didn't want to be a snob? If neutering would help prevent another dog from injuring mine, or mine from injuring another................... I'm very confused on where any 'snobbery' comes in (ego maybe? but snobbery?).

And I spay/neuter all my pets, male or female. If there is anything I can do that MAY make my dogs life better. And/or MAY make my life better. Seems a no brainer to me

You can probably make this much better. Though with a male (and that hard stare, you are right that CAN cause issues (specially with other boy dogs....).

First, I'd ask someone to buy me for Christmas the DVD 'Calming Signals' by ( click here) You MUST get the DVD cause it really shows dog behavior and what we want, don't want, to be able to really SEE it and how to work with our dogs to have them start behaving appropriately so other dogs read non-aggression.

This is about all the quiet and calm signals our dogs though out all the time. We humans are only catching about 5% of them, and it's the obvious stuff (happy dopey waggy dog? Barking growling attacking dog?) we tend to see and REACT to. While the DVD is about seeing all the calm quiet dog signals that we can manage and help with early on so we PREVENT having to react at all, and instead more properly help the situation.

Short video about Calming Signals

Then I'd get a really good book called

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>The Other End of the Leash: Why We Do What We Do Around Dogs </span>(Paperback)
~ Patricia B. McConnell

GOOD LUCK! May you be able to do the normal socialization the rest of us expect from our dogs (click here) as well as (click here also)

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page