Socializing and a proud Momma. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Socializing and a proud Momma.

I live in an apartment building (20 floors) where dogs are allowed. It is a family based building with the odd University student here and there. Since moving here I have become quite close to a few people who own dogs. We live just 5 minutes away from a really nice park which backs onto a public school. The schoolyard is huge and is enclosed by a fence that is open to the public after school hours.

When Stark was old enough to start interacting with other dogs (vaccinated) we started frequenting the park on a regular basis about the same time every night. We kept running into the same "pack" of dogs and their owners. They all had very well trained, very friendly, confident dogs. It surprised me. They were also very dog knowledgable (basic). I felt comfortable with them and their dogs and we all had similar training techniques, different goals (family pets vs. competion obedience vs. schutzhund, etc.) but everyone was willing to learn and respected everyone's ideas and ways they chose to raise their fur-kids.

We started meeting nightly at the park so the dogs could train together (great distraction training), play together, and just burn off some energy. It was a great way to socialize our dogs. We would welcome other well mannered, confident, friendly dogs into the mix every once and awhile. We take care of eachother's dogs such as if a new dog comes walking by we all agree or disagree if that dog is "safe" to play with "our pack".

Well, Stark started out as the youngest and the smallest. Tonight while out for our nightly play session, one of our group members took out their camera phone and showed me some photo's of the "pack" from a few months ago. The picture was of Stark going UNDER the belly of one of the Golden's. Stark is now about 4" taller than this Golden and a lot longer.

I never noticed the drastic change because we are together so often and so I hardly ever compare. I still see him as my baby puppy boy, not this big handsome, almost adult size GSD.

He is the one dog that all the other dogs go "ga ga" for, he plays extremely well with everyone, is extremely social, is confident, scared of nothing and loves to be chased and to chase. He is just amazing and he is only 7.5 months old. Everyone keeps telling me how well adjusted he is and how he represents the breed well. I am so proud of my boy.

I honestly think that having these playdates, along with all of the other work at socializing and training we are doing has paid off to make this happen.

When we are walking he doesn't need to greet every dog and pretty much ignores them unless we stop and say hello. I think allowing him to play with other dogs has helped this become a non-issue for us. Now, if I could only get him to ignore squirrels I would be golden!

Anyways, I just wanted to share this with other puppy owners. I am so proud of my little guy and just would like to let others know of my experience thus far.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 03:17 AM
Master Member

Re: Socializing and a proud Momma.

I'm glad Stark is maturing into a happy, well rounded dog

I know you put a lot of hard work into him and it's definitely paying off.

Of course, you realize your next GSD is going to be you a run for your money, don't you? It's only fair!

~Stephanie

Alexa (04/25/09)

Princess (GSD/Pit Rescue) October 1996-September 2004
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 07:31 AM
Crowned Member

You are right, all that socialization with the other dogs has paid off. You are fortunate to have found a nice group to meet with.
Sounds like Stark is a wonderful dog.

Kathy

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC
PTE,AG2,AN,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH
UACH,URO1 Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,AX,OAJ,NF,RE,HT,TC,CGC,

Bridge
Lucky, Wolf, Max
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 07:49 AM
Crowned Member

FANTASTIC!

"You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" -french proverb
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 07:57 AM
Crowned Member

YAY!!!!!

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
- Medo - "The Beast From The East"
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I am actually looking forward to a "hard to handle" little flirt!

Stark is just so laid back, easy to train, listens and is reliable in his training already (to an extent), I know I am going to be 'working' with my next.. haha..

XX z Weberhaus
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 09:47 AM
Knighted Member

It's the GSD karma, Elisabeth. Your next one's middle name will be "hellraiser"

Happy american thanksgiving, you two.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 10:40 PM
Elite Member

uummm, I hate to jinx this but.....he is only 7 months old, still not quite a teenager. Look out cause your sweet social boy may...may...probably will get attitude, and argue with you and push his weight around. He will still be sweet just a bit of a pain in the butt. And if not neutered he may become Cassonova with everything and not be too caring if he/she wants it or not. I only say this cause I could have written this til about 10 months and well, he sometimes drags his brain from the back end, but often after lots of drooling and pulling and whining, and no, no one has been in heat, everyone is fixed but well hope springs eternal. I keep being told he will get beyond this but he sure is focused, adn it used to be on me adn what I wanted. Good luck adn you are lucky to have so many like minded friends
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Oh, he is in full butthead mode right now, which is why I wrote this... haha.. I am sure we will have more struggles in the future, but I think he has a good "base foundation" to work off.

XX z Weberhaus
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 03:49 AM
Crowned Member

That is so wonderful! Good boy Stark!

Quote:
Quote:It's the GSD karma, Elisabeth. Your next one's middle name will be "hellraiser"
Oh aint that the truth, lol. I was lucky with Cody and Isa, now Akbar is my little devil, rrrr angel, ahhahaha.

Akbar 6 years
Isa 10 years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page