puppy shying away - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

puppy shying away

My little guy (emerson) is about 9 weeks old, and my girlfriends family came to visit us in my home for thanksgiving. they have a miniature beagle who seems real moody toward other dogs.

when the beagle first came in emerson went up to sniff her and the beagle immediately got mad and growled very deeply. since this emerson won't go anywhere near her and avoids her.

is this correctable or is he more inherently passive? eventually i want to take him to the dog park once he's vaccinated and be able to get along with other dogs!

forgive my lack of knowledge on this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 08:23 PM
Crowned Member

Re: puppy shying away

He is probably sensing the attitude of the beagle and is keeping his distance.If he does it to friendly dogs then he needs to build up to full meeting and always keep it positive.I wouldn't push it with this dog because a negative experience will be hard to get past.

Allie owned by:

Athena 5/4/08
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lexi 6/1/07 Puggle of some sort

post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 08:24 PM

LOL...... he is a puppy! Give him a break. In a few months the beagle will running! He is shy and just a baby!!! Tell GSD it is ok and support him!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 08:26 PM

My GSD"S hid in their kennel at that age when door bell rang. A few weeks later they needed a good a look and growl at door when the door bell rang. They are just babies in a new home and new people, they are a bit wary of everything.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 08:26 PM
Crowned Member

If he is afraid don't pamper him though.He'll feed off it and think it is OK to be scared.

Allie owned by:

Athena 5/4/08
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 08:35 PM
Master Member

I do not understand this obsession that people have with having their dogs around other dogs. Can someone please explain this to me? My dog is MY friend, he plays with ME, he works for ME, why is it necessary or beneficial for him to want to play with other dogs? Somebody please explain this to me.

Art

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 08:35 PM
Knighted Member

Ike is going through this right now with other dogs. It's a baby puppy thing. I wasn't careful a few days ago and my neighbor's big boxer (friendly) ran towards him and that put a scare in Ike. Since then I've been more cautious in managing his doggy interaction. Right now he is comfortable with looking at dogs across the street so that's where we'll stay for a week or so before moving closer. Don't baby the pup but also don't put him in situation where he is going to freak out. A little stress is okay. He will overcome it and be more confident because of it. Too much stress is not good and will set his development back.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 08:37 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: ZahnburgI do not understand this obsession that people have with having their dogs around other dogs. Can someone please explain this to me? My dog is MY friend, he plays with ME, he works for ME, why is it necessary or beneficial for him to want to play with other dogs? Somebody please explain this to me.
For me it isn't a play thing, it is just to tolerate them.If they don't or can't tolerate them it makes it hard to do things with them,especially if they become aggressive for what ever reason.

Allie owned by:

Athena 5/4/08

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 08:41 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: ZahnburgI do not understand this obsession that people have with having their dogs around other dogs. Can someone please explain this to me? My dog is MY friend, he plays with ME, he works for ME, why is it necessary or beneficial for him to want to play with other dogs? Somebody please explain this to me.
Agreed. After thinking about it, my Ike will be following the "look, don't touch" policy when it comes to other dogs.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 08:54 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
humans can't play with dogs the way dogs can play with each other...have you ever seen 2 dogs playing together..they are SO happy...that is why its good for them.

-Brandi

6-5-09

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page