So frustrated and worried - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to Doubleminttwin
So frustrated and worried

Despite all our socialization efforts Baya is still not good w/ppl. We have tried having them give her treats, them ignoring her ect. Some times shes ok with them, she will run up to them w/no problems shy away at frist then be ok. Other times she will really shy away,and then the worst by far is she will bark like crazy at them, run up then run away. Jump at them and snap her mouth but not really snap at them. Sometimes she play bows at them so I think she gets over excited but other times her fur will be up. Her reaction is always different. At petsmart shes amazing, she even jumped in some guys lap when he got on the ground.

I don't know if its because we always run into ppl outside and maybe that makes her nervous or what. Its so frustrating some days she will do so well and we think we've made progress and other times she goes beserk and scares ppl. It doesn't help that we have a lot of city ppl here that are terrified of all dogs not to mention a gs even if shes a puppy.

Tonight our RA knocked on the door, she started barking, ok not a problem. Open the door she is still barking like crazy at her, try to get her to calm down and its not working. Out of no where the Ra charges her and terrifies her. We tell her to stop she does but now Baya is going even more. She settles down the Ra is tlking and she sits on top of my feet staring at her, and she holds out her hand to let her sniff it, she does then runs away It seems like for every step we take there is two back.

Any suggestions? Has anyone else had a pup like this?? We have done every socialization trick we can think of.
We want to bring her to the folklife festival but now I'm not sure. To give her a little bit of a good report I have to say once she sees them a few times she acts like they are long lost friends, she is great w/ppl we are around all the time, is this normal for a 16 almost 17 week old?

*~Jen~*
“Be Who You Are and Say What You Feel Because Those Who Mind Don't Matter and Those Who Matter Don't Mind.” Dr. Seuss

Baya 6/29/09

Ask me about: Leopard Geckos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 11:42 PM
Knighted Member

Re: So frustrated and worried

Take a step back and stop yourself from becoming emotionally involved with this. I have a dog very similar to her right now. At Fidelco, they stress socialization, but some dogs, especially the bitches, can't go there.
Try focusing on allowing her to become aloof. Stop trying to greet people and teach her how to focus on you when she starts reacting. I use a ball, treats, and commands that she knows well to refocus her and get her past the situation. Can she be a great Guide dog? I think so, as long as the handler doesn't expect her to actively socialize.
Our Sheps aren't always great socializers. It doesn't mean that they can't be well behaved, but they won't be Labs either.
Be careful of your own feelings too. The minute I get nervous or angry, Tasha shuts down, and it's very hard for me to get her to refocus. Despite destractions, be ready to offer her a reason to focus on you alone, and reward her when she does. Tasha loves going on outings, as long as I don't push her to meet and great.

Sar K-9 Tasha (GSD)
Sar K-9 Kolby (GSD)
Sar K-9 Skye (GSD)
GSD's Frodo and Ilan
Retired Guide dog Sika
Retired Guide dog Seda (and ruler of my Pack)
Proud to be a Fidelco Volunteer Puppy Raiser.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

We have been doing the staying happy and calm when ppl come up, or atleast trying to but it can be hard when she starts barking. Its hard to get ppl not to come up to her because usually when we are walking ppl just randomly come up because shes a puppy and cute until she starts going off. haha if only we could control the ppl around us she knows the watch me command and does it really well but we lose her around distractions, we are working on that though. I guess its just easy to get frustrated when ppl react so badly to her, but I don't understand why ppl think they can run up to dogs or puppies and pet them w/out trying to introduce themselves (smelling of hands and such).

*~Jen~*
“Be Who You Are and Say What You Feel Because Those Who Mind Don't Matter and Those Who Matter Don't Mind.” Dr. Seuss

Baya 6/29/09

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 07:03 AM
Knighted Member

If you are looking for some help, one of our volunteers is a fantastic trainer and really knows her GSDs. She has worked with quite a few dogs for the rescue and done an amazing job with them. Please send me a PM if you are interested in her contact info.

Yours in GSDs and rescue,

Lea

Good Dogs for Good Homes
Virginia German Shepherd Rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 07:31 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: RemoIf you are looking for some help, one of our volunteers is a fantastic trainer and really knows her GSDs. She has worked with quite a few dogs for the rescue and done an amazing job with them. Please send me a PM if you are interested in her contact info.
sounds like a good idea!!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 08:57 AM
Knighted Member

I would recommend you keep up the socializing and bring her out to the festival. Maybe you can where a sign that says dog in training please do not pet. My Bo is very friendly to people in my house but outside in the unfamilar places and strangeers he is not. So I want people to back off.

Heidi, human mom to
Daisy, 6 yr JRT
Bella, 3 yr GSD
Bo, 2 yr GSD
Rest in Peace,
Kasey, GSD Shelter 8/96-12/07 at the Bridge
Patches, CS Shelter 4/93-4/05 at the Bridge
Keisha, GSD 12/87-10/96 at the Bridge
Tarsha, GSD my sweet 16 BD at the Bridge
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 10:04 AM
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Tbarrios333

Have you tried training classes?
Denali doesn't have issues with bikes or gunshots, but our trainer did socializations exercises anyway for the people whose dogs have more issues.
For ex. he would ride by in a bike and throw treats.

Sometimes you need a trainer to point out what's really going on.

Owned by Nini and McKinley.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thanks for all the responses! She is in basic puppy training class at petsmart (i know its not the best but its been good so far), she does wonderful for our trainer and in petsmart she loves ppl (go figure). But I think looking into another trainer would def be helpful.

Thanks again for all the replys <3

*~Jen~*

Baya 6/29/09

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 08:50 AM

I agree with all suggestions, and especially BJ's advice.

My 18mth old is not a social butterfly with people (only ones she knows well and occassionally she'll surprise me by really being drawn to a stranger)..She just doesn't seem to care about people she doesn't know. EXample, if I come across someone on our walks and we stop to talk, she would prefer to just stand there and watch, vs stranger petting her/fawning all over her..

I definately agree to not push people on her, and let her make the decision to approach or not, (Your RA sounds like a jerk for charging her and THAT was a real dumb move!)

The positive right now is your class and petsmart, you said she's been really good there! I would take FULL advantage of that, and have her IN that petsmart store every chance you get)

Good luck with her,,she's a real cutie)

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page