Question Re: Exercise - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Question Re: Exercise

I have a nearly 9 week old puppy who has had his first round of shots and who is currently on medication for Coccidia. He is doing well, good appetite, good energy level, etc. We do not yet have our own yard and we live in a building where there are many other dogs so I am avoiding the elevator and courtyard and nearby park. I understand, however, that even at 9 weeks, exercise and socialization are important parts of puppy development. There is an elementary school a few miles from my building --- is it okay to drive us there to take 15 minute walks in the parking lot? I am considering a school parking lot because I am assuming that there is little to no dog traffic there. Any insight, advice, etc. is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 09:53 AM
Knighted Member

You can take him to walk around in places like Lowe's. He'll get some exercise and lots of socialization. Socialization is probably more important than exercise at this point. Take him to lots and lots of places.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 11:06 AM
Elite Member

I make is a point of visiting schools during recess, lots of kids playing, yelling, running, screaming, etc, Of course someone will notice you and lots of kids will run over to pet the pup, I always brought kibble, and had the kids sit and each feed him 1 piece. He learned to approach calmly, it is only dog food, take gently and accept pats and hugs. I have the stablest dog around kids for not living with any. Also go to baseball diamonds, soccer fields, rec centers and walk by the doors, anywhere there are kids.

I would wait for his medicine to be over and him to be feeling well then I would do this, at such a young age I wouldn't worry about exercise, just play lots rolling balls, shaking tug toys, hiding, etc and he will soon be ready for more and longer walks and definitely enroll in puppy kindergarten, where everything taught is positive, no punishment, Enjoy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 11:10 AM
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Tbarrios333

You can take em to home depot, Bass Pro shops, outdoor malls. Sometimes stores like Sports Authority will let you carry them in.
I took Denali to Petsmart/Petco in a cart lined with a towel.

Home Depot/ Lowes let well behaved dogs in but a lot of people don't know that. I took Denali in once and it was great because she was exposed to a wood cutter (those things are loud!!).

Owned by Nini and McKinley.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

thanks ya'll for the insight. i had no idea about lowes, home depot, etc. great to know. and yes, puppy kindergarten for sure trudy!

thanks again for the great suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page