How much is too much? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

How much is too much?

How much running, jumping, hard play time with other dogs, training is too much for a 6 month old puppy?

I was told Stark is getting TOO MUCH excerise for his age by another dog owner at the vet today, the vet tech. rolled her eyes at the lady as did I but it got me thinking, what is too much?

Our typical daily schedule:

8am - 20 minute walk/pee break. This is where we just stroll around the building or neighbourhood smelling all the trees, playing with leaves, etc.

1pm - 1 hour walk/training. We usually walk to a nice park or trail and play, I also do some training with him during this time. I try to make it fun in the process, throwing the ball and calling him back, making him [heck], then repeating, etc..

5pm - 20 minute walk/pee break. Again, just a stroll around the block.

7:30 - 1-2 hours of playtime with the other dogs at the park. There are usually anywhere from 2 - 6 dogs there, we also do some training with all of them during this time with breaks and play sessions in between.

11pm - 20-30 minute walk before we call it a night. Sometimes I take him to a parking lot near my house for a training session instead, depends on how much we did that day. He is usually more focused during this time.

*3 times per week at about 9am we do tracking for about 1/2 hour to an hour.
*1 time per week for an hour we have OB class
*We do anywhere from 3-6, 5-10 minute training sessions in the house per day.

I am a student so my schedule is pretty open, especially with Grad School this year, I pretty much make my own hours (research mostly).

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 01:14 AM
Master Member

Re: How much is too much?

The nights (from 5 to 11) seem pretty packed! I'm sure Stark doesn't mind though haha.

Doesn't seem like an excessive amount. If he's got the energy to keep up, why not? He's a growing boy, and I know I take advantage of walks and playgroups to keep Alexa happy and calm

I think it's great that you do several small training sessions, and have so much time to dedicate to Stark. He's a lucky boy.

I'm curious myself about running. Alexa loves to play fetch. Generally when she needs a break she will lay with the tennis ball for a few minutes, instead of bringing it right back for me to throw it lol. I don't feel like I'm pushing her that way.

~Stephanie

Alexa (04/25/09)

Princess (GSD/Pit Rescue) October 1996-September 2004
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 01:41 AM
Elite Member

Sounds great to me! I wish I could do that. I have a similar schedule with Benny on Friday - Sunday, which are my days off. Monday - Thursday I work 12 hours so we just have an hour walk from 5:30- 6:30AM with some training, and then play and a little fun training when I get home from 9:30-10:30PM.

The only thing I would question being too much is the 2 hours of play time with other dogs, but as long as it is not tiring Stark out ( and you would know) it is probably great socialization.

Benedict GSD 4/13/09
Pippin GR 2/6/14

Waiting at the Bridge
Eli GSD
Chopper APBT
Raphael GSD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

The 2 hour play date is pretty relaxed, we do some training, the dogs will play for a bit, then rest and sniff around the park/school yard. We throw ball for those who want to fetch it, the others wrestle, chase or run together.

It's not all intense play and it has been getting shorter and shorter as the nights get cooler.. haha..

XX z Weberhaus
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 02:16 AM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to windwalker718 Send a message via Yahoo to windwalker718

She's obviously never lived with a working line puppy!! Ikon is good for a solid 2 hour madhouse several times a day. If I fail to provide it he makes his own mischief... and I pay the price!! LOL Like I've 1/2 the plants to bring in this fall that I took out onto the deck this past spring as he's shredded a large Christmas Cactus and several geraniums... he also found a plastic bag full of soda cans I set on the the deck to put in the car next trip out... errrrr... I now have about $4 worth of soda cans spread from one end of the dog yard to the other... he ran around shaking the bag and sending them flying in all directions! And of course all these things I didn't ACTUALLY see him do, so had to bite my tongue as I searched for rooted bits of plant to try to repot *sigh*...

The only thing I'd be cautious with in a puppy is doing an excessive amount of jumping as it could stress the hips. Ike goes til he's tired, then crashes... He'll let me know how much is too much.

Home of:
Bree... Rescue Mutt (12/11)
Demi V. Hayden (8/09)
SG Ikon V.Wolfstraum--(5/09)

& Many beloveds at the gate waiting for me...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I think we have a pretty good schedule, not too much but definitely not boring.. haha..

We will be adding Schutzhung training to the list come the end of the month as well I think, and once he is a year herding will be apart of that schedule as well.

I am able to spend a lot of time with him and he is hardly alone anymore which is really nice. We spend a lot of time doing things together and really, I wouldn't want to be doing anything else. I love trying new things and spending time with my little guy.

That's the whole point in having a dog right? Being active with them, spending time with them and just enjoying being around them?

XX z Weberhaus
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 09:23 AM
Knighted Member

Stark lives a charm life

I do something similar - minus the 2 hour play group. After dinner time I take Obie and Dottie out for a pack walk and that's usually the one walk of the day when they have carte blanche to act the fool.

What kind of dog did the lady at the vet have? A Lhasa Apso perhaps?

The only thing I would add (and keep in mind this is different from dog to dog) is sometimes too much free play with other dogs will make a dog lose focus/enthusiasm for training. Now with Obie who is a low drive/low energy dog this is definitely true. In order to get him to work with enthusiasm and focus, I have to practice a little bit of puppy "lockdown" the day before training. With Dots who is high energy/high drive, it really doesn't matter that much. She can play at dogpark for 2 straight hours and give her a little rest and some water and she is ready for her flyball class.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I am not sure what kind of dog she had, it was in the back. All I know was that it was a female because she said, "my girl is in the back".

XX z Weberhaus
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 06:49 PM
Crowned Member

Sounds ok since most of it is 'free play.'

Only thing I wouldn't do is encourage jumping off things.

Anne

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 06:53 PM
Knighted Member

just my opinion but at 6 months would rather see more free play with human rather than dog companion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page