Submissive Pee? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Submissive Pee?

Dakota 8 months now is submissive peeing at times with me. He does not do it to my girlfriend who lives with me. He listens to me more and sees me as Alpha. But how can I get the peeing to stop. Hes happy and always ready to play.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 10:49 PM
Elite Member

Re: Submissive Pee?

What is the situation when Dakota pees? Greeting? Playing? Training?...

Amy
Bison (Indo vom Triton) CGC
Grizzly vom Buchonia
RIP- Bear*Gator*Moose

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- God/Dog Blog
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 10:49 PM
Elite Member

I'd love to get feedback too. Zuzu loves to play with all dogs, bi and small, but pees when meeting larger dogs, and also tinkles when she's excited to meet a person! She doesn't do it with me.

Jennifer

Aik vom Haus Gold "The Rock" Age 11

Zuzu--gsd DOB 4-21-09. Naughty n' nice

Lucy, Black GSD 2/1997-12-25-2008.
" T'was Heaven with you Here."

Dweezil, WGSD. RIP, 13
Moon, WGSD. RIP , 12
Shining found treasures both.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 10:50 PM
Crowned Member

Ignore it. Don't pressure him. Take him directly outside before you greet him, after crating or when you come home. Keep the excitement level down. If he is doing it during reprimand then you need to build his confidence and don't correct him, just redirect his behaviors.
He'll probably outgrow it(hopefully)

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Id say training.. Is more when I have to get firm and repeat command couple times. Its like he knows. He doesn't get punished or anything. What are some ways to build his confidence with me. I don't want a scared dog by any means. Like tonight I gave him a bath he came right in. I shut door got down to his level without saying anything and he kinda of tucked his head and did a little peeing. I just cleaned it up and went about giving him his bath. He was fine once he was in the tube. Happy dog loves the water. Just sat there till I was done cleaning him.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 11:20 PM
Crowned Member

Do you play tug with him? This is a great confidence builder, let him win and stop the game when he still wants more. Get a nice two handled french linen tug:
google it for online stores. This one is from dogsportgear.com

Keep all training upbeat and use high value treats or toy that is only for training times. Short sessions. You should not have to repeat a command if the dog understands what you want from him. Just wait til he does it and praise/treat.
He could be in a fear stage as well right now. Are you in any classes with him?
Maybe look into clicker training(your tone of voice is not present)

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Always in my heart
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Yea been playing tug with him. Hes always got a toy in his mouth seems like. Can be sitting on couch and he will keep bringing it to you or thinks he needs to play with the ball on your lap. Any other confidence builders besides tug I could try. He has no problem with confidence with other dogs if that matters?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 11:28 PM
Crowned Member

I think it is your relationship that he needs some confidence in. He needs to know you are the leader,but a fair one as well. So for now just let go of correcting him and do some re-directing. If he gets out of hand just say happily "you won the crate" and crate him.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Always in my heart
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Wont that turn the crate into something he does not like? I can say kennel up and he has no problem going into it. Or when its time for bed he likes to go there to sleep or sometime at the end of the bed on the floor.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 11:42 PM
Crowned Member

He is old enough that the crate can be used for time-out. I had to do this with Onyx when she started bullying my senior Clover, when it happened she won the crate.
Classes are a nice way to bond/gain confidence, not so much an obedience class, but a tracking, herding or agility class.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Always in my heart
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page