Confidence Building Games - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Confidence Building Games

Anyone have any suggestions?

As a side note, Alexa IS starting OB classes in about two weeks...had to wait until the trainer I wanted to use started a new class. So, while I do regret having her miss the puppy class, I'm glad we're starting classes now.

~Stephanie

Alexa (04/25/09)

Princess (GSD/Pit Rescue) October 1996-September 2004
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 11:18 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Re: Confidence Building Games

Any work with a clicker cause it forces us to be quiet, use 100% positive (with food) and there's no corrections!

Nice to see how when we are forced to be quiet and reward with tons of teeny treats (along with our puppy being almost always right) they seem to really gain tons of confidence.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 11:41 AM
Knighted Member

I agree with MaggieRoseLee.

Working with a clicker, correctly, will enable your dog to think, and thus build confidence in both dog and trainer.

I wished I started clicker training since day one. I have since converted and I love it. I'm now teaching a dumbell retrieve. It was so hard for me not to offer commands to get a behaviour but to shape her behaviour by the click.

I recommend the book "The Thinking Dog" which is mostly about theory, at least in the 1st half which is where I am now.. There is a difference in clicker training and training with a clicker. Before I read the book I was training with a clicker, but now I beleive I am more effective.

I have that one and a Clicker training book (forget name) that is more of a "how to" book.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 11:50 AM
Crowned Member

I started with a clicker as well and found it worked out great.

I am now just using "YES" as my 'click' but am going to go back to using the clicker because I find myself getting extremely fustrated with Stark lately so my tone isn't always super postive (although I try to be, I think he can tell.. haha) and using the clicker will force me to be quiet. He is in full BUTTHEAD mode right now so I think the clicker will be benificial.

I am going to get "The Thinking Dog" I think. I have a step by step booklet that is very detailed from my trainer on how and when to use the clicker so I think I am okay in that department but it may be benifical for me to read.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 12:00 PM
Crowned Member

Also, giving them a job is always a positive way to build confidence.

I have my keys on a small leather strap that fits around my wrist and I started giving them to Stark to play with in the elevator to occupy him. He started to carry them around with him in the elevator and hallway so I thought to myself, "why not let him carry my keys for me?". So I taught him to "bite" my keys, and "bring" the keys with him for me to the elevator and then again to the door to our apartment. He gets so excited when he gets to the door because he knows he gets to do a job.

He is so happy (head held high, tail wagging, prances down the hallway) when he is doing this for me it is so cute to watch. I alway make sure to say things like "Thanks buddy!", "Good job Stark", and make little praise noises like "wohoo!" at him. He gets even more excited when I do this too.

Anything that gives them a "purpose" will build confidence.

Another thing I have Stark do that makes him extremely happy is clean up after himself. This is a work in progress but we are working on it everyday multipule times a day. Stark has a toy bin that I put all of his toys into, he likes to pull them all out. When I am tired of looking at (or tripping over) them I tell him to "clean up". I will show him the toy, have him "bite" the toy and bring him to the toy box. When he "drops it" in the bin, I priase or treat. He will usually do 1 or 2 and then try to pull them out again but like I said, it's a work in progress. He loves to work, to be useful. It's fun trying to come up with jobs and things for him to do to keep his mind working.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 12:26 PM
Crowned Member

This is a good confidence builder and a good start for clicker training:

http://www.clickertraining.com/node/167

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page