Good or not? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 03:21 AM Thread Starter

Good or not?

hey...well i've been talking Zoe out to walk since 1,5 mnth, she's 4,5 mnth now.. till today some guy said that it's not good to talk her out of the house till she's 6 mnth and it's also not good to let her see much people...im just confused about what's good and what's not...
as for me.. she's seeing lots of persons , starting to play with other puppies.. im taking her to new places almost everyweek , we went to a festival this week, and she's doing fine.. but she's so friendly with everyone , does this affect her in a bad way or it'll stop to make this smiley face to everyone she meets one day?...cos i don't want her to be " a play dog with a big body ".. any ideas?

thanx.

...Do not make the mistake of treating your dogs like humans or they will treat you like dogs...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 05:32 AM
Master Member

Re: Good or not?

Don't listen to this person! One of the worst things you can do for your dog is to isolate her from other people, dogs, places, and things. Dogs that are not properly socialized are shy, aggressive, unstable, and a variety of other things.

The purpose of socialization is to show your dog that people, animals, and things she meets everyday are safe and friendly and should not provoke fear or aggression. If a situation ever arose where someone was dangerous, your dog can sense this.

Continue socializing her. Take her out everyday on walks and to different places. Socialization is never complete, no matter how old she is. Keep up the good work!

As far as having a big, playful dog...that's what you signed up for! All dogs are playful when young. Proper training will keep her from jumping on people, and other everyday manners.

~Stephanie

Alexa (04/25/09)

Princess (GSD/Pit Rescue) October 1996-September 2004
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 07:42 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

What Stephanie said!

VERY important to socialize you dog while still a pup. Don't worry about him being too friendly - there is no such thing as a dog that is too friendly! He is still a pup, but as he gets older, you can teach him manners so that he knows that he needs your permission to play with other people and other dogs.

Keep up the good job!

As for being a "play dog in a large body", just get used to it!

At six months on, Zoe will be approximately her adult size, but still very much a puppy. So she will still need lots of opportunities to play and run and be silly - but she certainly can learn leash manners - she can learn that walking on leash is walking on leash - and other places are for play.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 10:06 AM
Crowned Member

Ditto what the rest said!

Stark is 20 weeks old (ugh.. time flies!) and has been all over!

Schools, nursing homes, beaches, hiking, 7 hour road trips, friends, malls, the lakes, etc., etc., ...

The more they are exposed to at a young age the better (safe places before they are vaccinated though). I even brought Stark to work with me and I work at a retail store!

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 10:15 AM
Crowned Member

I agree with what everone else has said the only caution is to be very careful where you take little pups before they have their shots.

Sounds like you are doing the right thing, and as for a "playdog in a big body" IMO I would much rather have that then a pup that has issued with Agression, other dogs, non family members or another problem like that.

Danielle

Mom to:
Rocky - 3 year old Black GSD
3 Skin Kids
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 10:34 AM
Crowned Member

Yes, I agree. I would much rather have a puppy who was overly friendly than not. Stark LOVES people and other dogs and I wouldn't have it any other way. I think a lot of that has to do with how much socialization he gets.

I made a promise to myself and to him that every week of his life we would try 1 new thing.

So far, I have kept that promise.

It doesn't have to be a "Big Ta-da" but just introducing a new environment or situation or person is enough.

By doing this you can "create" a confident, friendly, happy, healthy dog.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

BIG thanx for the info , i guess im on the right track then , there's just an idea arroud here tht some people have ...some persons really shouldn't own dogs , well i'll be posting about Zoe more while she's growing, thanx again .

Cheers.

...Do not make the mistake of treating your dogs like humans or they will treat you like dogs...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page