Socialization Advice for 3mo - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Socialization Advice for 3mo

Recon and I are very active together - constantly going to the creek or even walks around the complex I live in. He's met a ton of people and does amazing! Last night about 15 of my friends were over and he stole the show from my BFs own birthday What I'm concerned about is the amount of dogs met. He's met a handful or so when we are on walks and rarely are they happy experiences. He doesn't seem to be affected by them but for example, this morning we ran into a 1 yr old cocker spanial and his owner, well they sniffed and the dog growled and went after Recon. He ran up to me and I told him he was okay, so he just sat next to me and watched the dog walk away. This has happened almost with every dog we come across, except for a 3 mo old GS mix female who we rarely run into. I'm concerned that he hasn't made any puppy friends ... we start puppy class Sept 5 with his litter mates so he'll have that time every Sat for 2 months, but in the mean time ... I'm at a lost for ideas.

Amanda

Smile always.
Recon von Haus Juris, GSD - 5/31/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 09:01 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Re: Socialization Advice for 3mo

Congrats on the socialization and what sounds like a lovely puppy!

Now you need to step it up and take some photos of this socialization so you can add them to this site (click here!)

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 09:08 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Re: Socialization Advice for 3mo

A lot of older dogs don't like puppies. I would not let Recon meet random dogs on walks. Quick nose sniff, if you want, and walk on. Better little contact than negative experiences. Try to find someone with a nice, reliable dog, or another puppy around Recon's size and age and set up play dates. Or wait until your class starts and see if anyone in your class would be a good match for Recon.

And as instinctive it is to us, don't say it is Okay or try to soothe him if something worries or scares him. What this does is tell him that it is okay to be scared and run away.

Just ignore scared behaviour, or laugh and be silly like the scary dog or object is the funniest thing in the world!

And socialization isn't just limited to meeting people and other dogs - though very important - but also in exposing your pup to the big, new, varied world in general. Taking him to new places, experiencing new sights, obstacles, sounds, surfaces, other animals, etc . . .

For example, walk around construction sites, take your dog to a petting zoo (if allowed), somewhere where recon can see horses, a playground with wonky equipment, downtown with crowds and traffic and audio walk signals, etc . . . . In the winter time, I took my guys to a ski hill. We hung around the bottom of the ski runs while a zillion people zoomed by on skis and snow boards, and observed the ski lifts clicking away, whisking people away - all awesome experiences!

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page