How old was your puppy when he swam? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

How old was your puppy when he swam?

I love taking Recon (now 12 weeks) out hiking. Well not big hikes, more like walks in the woods where he can be off leash. The other day we went to a creek which was fairly deep. He jumped right in and definently went completely under. My bf went right in after him and didn't necessarily take him out, more so guided him to shore. Now the creek was maybe 3 feet deep. He swam to the side but I think the shock of it all freaked him out. He continued to run around the creek but I was wondering if I'm bringing him near water too young?

Also - camping/hiking. I would love to start camping with him this Sept when it cools down. He will be 4 months old then. Is this an okay age?

Thanks! I also have pictures of yesterdays' fun and will post them as soon as I figure out how to make them smaller!

Amanda

Smile always.
Recon von Haus Juris, GSD - 5/31/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 10:20 AM
Crowned Member

Re: How old was your puppy when he swam?

Aslan jumped right in the lake and started swimming like a PRO the very first time I took him swimming. He was 4 months old. Been doing it since then. I took my then 4 months old pup camping and she had a blast! So I don't think they are too young for it.

Carolina Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 10:31 AM
Crowned Member

Otto was about Recon's age when he started wading in the kiddie pool. The first time he actually swam, he was 4 months.

With your pup, just take it slow. Let him wade in the water but don't try to get him to swim unless he wants to. He'll probably forget all about the scary experience by next summer and you can start again.

Now another question is how old are they when they STOP swimming. Morgan was the pup who had to be on a long line to swim becuase I was afraid she'd swim across the river (about a mile) and then how would I find her on the other side??? Last spring, she stepped off the marsh where earlier there was beach but the tide came up. She was in water over her head, swam around to where the beach was and looked at me like hey, that was kinda scary. She's 8 now and hasn't actually swam in 2 or 3 years, still loves to wade though.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Wow~ Okay! I've never made him swim, rather I just take pictures and he does what he wants.

I'm pretty excited to take him camping. I really think he will enjoy it as he loves to be outside.

Thanks for the words of wisdom I guess I'll just let him swim if he wants to.

Amanda

Smile always.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 10:40 AM
Crowned Member

We took Jerz to the lake for the first time when she was young like that. However, at 15 months or so she has yet to actually swim, she just wades.

Ashley,
proud owner of:
Jerzey, Bi-color GSD. 4/23/08
Koji, spotted shelter kitty.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 10:59 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Pretty much right at 5 months Glory just went right in after Bretta and the thrown stick. Prior to that I exposed her to water and opportunities to swim all the time. But she'd just wade and run in the shallows.

Bretta was different, she went in probably around 4 months (maybe earlier) the first time I got her near the deep water. I threw in a stick for my older dog (a HUGE stick) and was stunned when the blur that tore past and leapt in to get it was my puppy and NOT my older dog! Since I had thrown it really far (heck, for the ADULT dog) and it was a massive tree (for my ADULT dog!!!) and it was in a RIVER...........I did have a brief freakout that I just drowned my new puppy.

The fact she not only made the huge swim, but grabbed the tree and brought it back still amazes me. Needless to say I was more careful on the subsequent tosses!

So every pup is different, and having a toy or stick to get them over the possible tentativeness between touching the bottom still or swimming is a help.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 11:34 AM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to VectorSketcher

Well my boy is 4yrs old and has never swam, he just is not a big fan of water, he doesn't even really like to wade into the water. Once we took him to Huntington Dog Beach out in Cali, he only waded in because the entire family was in but if we got out he was out. I think he is the only GSD in the world who hates water, oddly enough he does tolerate his water therapy every week, ha ha! My girl, she is different, she loves water, I got her a pool at five months, and she jumped right in and splashed about, even rolled over in the water.

-michelle-
Riddick-4yr GSD
Rogue-1yr GSD
Bishop-10yr Cat
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 11:45 AM
Crowned Member

To be honest, I am not quite sure the exact age (I wrote a thread on it though) but I think it was somewhere around 11-13 weeks old.

Now he at 19 weeks can swim the length of the Lake we go too.

I am anxious to see what he does next summer.

Start them young and don't show your anxiety or fear because they will pick up on it. It also helps to have other 'swimmers' (dogs) there to show them how it's done and that it's not so scary.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 12:42 PM

11 weeks. She went in on her own. I was about 20' out and she just waded in and swam to me.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

So it sounds like its up to the dog. I'm trying not to be nervous, but it's definently intimidating! It helps to have my bf around, he has good reflexes!

Amanda

Smile always.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page