Feathered tails? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Feathered tails?

I just noticed that Lainey is losing her sleek, skinny, flat tail and she is getting a thicker, feathery one! Not having had a GSD pup for years, I forgot that happens. She is just shy of ten months old (already! LOL!) How old were your dogs when they started "getting their tails"?
Oh no, she's growing up- quick, stop, stay a puppy a little longer will you? Please?

Kim (MSPCA Vol.), Lainey (Lainey Express Destiny Ryanhaus) and Beau (formerly Booker GSD/Lab?- Rescue)

(At Rainbow Bridge) Vegas- Our Gentle Giant R.I.P. 2000-2008 Meisha - Moo Moo R.I.P. 1990-2000-All GSDs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 05:15 PM
Knighted Member

Re: Feathered tails?

I started noticing that change a little later- but my girl was a late bloomer and didn't have her first heat until she was over a year old. She'll be two in November and I just noticed in the last few weeks more changes in her tail, and I think she's finally got her big girl tail. I think that makes them look majestic

Lisa
Owned by:
Lucina v Dare, GSD
Fancy Me Deuce (Tedy) APHA gelding
Purple Haze Nirvana AQHA mare
Trooper rescue kitty and senior fur kid
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 05:18 PM
Crowned Member

Kim, sweetie-grrrl Lainey is getting her floofies! She is still a puppy yet though. Grimmi got his floofy tail later than expected, about 21 months. Raw feeding made his fur finally fill in better. It depends on the bloodlines and the diet as to what their adult coats will look like. Grimm had a "baby puppy coat! until he was about 5 months old. Then a mid-range coat that lasted until he was 21 months. I think after that, the raw diet gave him the floofies, finally. Lainey is still a sweet baby girlie puppy yet. Do not worry! She is right on schedule!

Patti
Frauchen von:

Grimm van den Heuvel, aka "The Doofinator"
My strong-minded, very loving boy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 05:20 PM
Master Member

Mine is 61/2 months and tail has just begun the transformation in the past week. It's still flat at the base and is feathering about 1/2 way out. Looks pretty weird right now, but I could say that about her enormous paws and her gigantic ears as well. About the same time I noticed the tail changing, I also noticed it no longer brushes the ground. Her legs must finally be long enough, I wondered if her tail was always going to dust the floor behind her!

Jiva / GSD 3 yr
Coco / MIX 8 yr
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 06:09 PM

My guy is 11 months and has the biggest fluffiest tail I can imagine!!! Although for the life of me I cant remember when it began to fluffy, so this question made me wonder. I'll have to go look at some pictures and try to figure that one out!

Tara

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page