Can You Have A "Simple" GSD? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Can You Have A "Simple" GSD?

Just curious to see if other owners have ever had a German Shepherd that was, "ummmm, not quite all there"? Would love to hear your experiences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 01:39 PM
Banned

Re: Can You Have A "Simple" GSD?

the GSD is always there it's the owners that,
"ummmm, not quite all there".

Quote:
Originally Posted By: PanzersmomJust curious to see if other owners have ever had a German Shepherd that was, "ummmm, not quite all there"? Would love to hear your experiences.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 02:15 PM
Master Member

honestly I have never seen a gsd that wasnt very intelligent. Thats what got me into shepherds, growing up we had a white gsd rescue and he was the best dog ive ever had!

Marie

Quest Vom Spartanville (DOB 1/31/09) SCH2 IPO2 (Regionals 2012) BH TR1 CGC GSD
Leon v.h. Basjes Huis (3/26/12) GSD
Rosa Aritar Bastet (7/4/12) GSD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 02:50 PM

Yes!!! My dad adopted three sisters that were probably LC GSD. His dog had just died a week before and the vet called because someone had brought in 5, 4 week old pups to be PTS.

Dad took the three sisters-2 of the girls were bright, but one must of been dropped on her head or something because she was not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Honestly, if it hadn't been for her two sisters-she would not have made to adulthood. She couldn't have found her way from the front door to the back door if she had had a map. Dad lived way out in the country.

Bungee 6/1996 - 01/2009 * Dane/lab mix
Sassy of Rosehall and Black Magic 4/13/09 GSD
Copper 1998 * Redbone Hound*
Buster 6/2008* cat
Prissy 1990-2010 *cat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Oh ok, Panzer just doesn't seem to have the attention span, or the knowledge level (for training), that I would expect from a GSD. I am suspecting some issues with his birth from a backyard breeder, even though he claimed this was an "oops" litter. When I took Panzer back to visit him when he was 10 weeks old he showed me the shepherd next door and said he was Panzers brother, but swore it was from the same litter, the pup next door was 2 times Panzers size, so I'm thinking mom had given birth to an earlier litter already, and she was only 18 months old when she had Panzers litter. Panzers brother that our trainer purchased passed already, and his sister is with another friend, and she has constant eye infections and is thin like Panzer. Even when friends come over, they comment on how "different" he looks in his face, so I was just wondering. Thanks all.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 06:24 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Re: Can You Have A "Simple" GSD puppy?

Puppies can be pretty goofy (specially the boys, why I stick with girl dogs... ) and I think GSD's in particular can mature a bit slowly.

How's he doing in puppy classes compared to the other pups? And what does your instructor say?

Truthfully, my pup is 5 months old and quite a clown. Attention span of a gnat. Watch how I 'loose' her in agility class..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kro4NqlaA24

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Maggie. That video is great! We've just been trying to work with Panzer with the same training techniques that we learned when Becca was going through training, and he just does not seem interested at all. I have to say "sit" 5 times before he thinks about it and walks away! I will continue to work with him, I was just curious as to the likelyhood he may not be capable of training, but I will keep trying with my big baby.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 09:39 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Hey, you see my Glory walk away from me in that video? More than once! And I had chicken/cheese/hotdogs I was handing out and dropping on the floor!

I really really really recommend going to some new dog classes. I've only been in this 'dog thing' for about 15 years and I can't even begin to tell your the difference between how THIS puppy is getting trained compared to my first pup. There's no way, with what I know now, that I'd do it the same. Dog training , particularly with puppies, is vastly different.

You have hit the key point that is OUR problem not our puppies. And the part the supposedly smarter partner in this training pair has to THINK to figure out (this would be the human part ). What do I have to do to make THIS puppy WANT to be with me, WANT to learn, and WANT to figure out this 'school' I'm making it go to.

Hungry puppy and REAL treats make a huge difference for me. Added to the TONS of exercise I give normally to take the edge off and the excitement of new things in a new place. Truthfully, I spend vastly more time exercising and socializing my new puppies (if you had a chance to see some of my other videos you'd have noticed that ) rather than 'training'. Just tricks and fun stuff and then my dog classes and trainer help with all the timing and fine tuning I then need to add.

Heck, I've gotten TWO agility championships on 2 different German Shepherds and look where I am with my new (and 3rd) puppy? DOG CLASSES!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

LOL, understood totally...:-) How old is the puppy now? Panzer will be 6 months on the 15th.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 11:03 PM
Crowned Member

My husband's dog Gideon was an idiot by comparison to Luther. Compare him to the neighbors american bulldog (female!) who was the same age, Giddy was doing astrophysics.

They're all different. To compare Panzer to Becca is not going to do him any justice. I used to compare Luther to Rex who came before him. Didn't get very far training Luther until I came to appreciate he was different from Rex, in some wonderful ways. He wasn't drop dead smart learn every command on the second try like Rex but Luther had a fantastic sense of humor - never met a funnier dog.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page