Socializing with her littermate and mom - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Socializing with her littermate and mom

We got Mieshka from a family friend and I was wondering if taking her over to see her sister and mom would be detrimental to OUR pack? I've had her for almost 2 months and she's definitely bonded to me and my GF so I was wondering if would be ok. I just don't want to take her there and then get insecure when we leave. What are your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 12:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to slaen
Re: Socializing with her littermate and mom

I also have thought about taking Kye to see his parents as well, but I am unsure of it.

I would really like to see peoples thoughts on this.

Proud Daddy to a giant furball
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 12:47 PM
Elite Member

There shouldn't be a problem at all in a well balanced dog or puppy. My breeder and I have a 1 year birthday party planned for my Kiyoko and her litter mates. We will probably have it at his house were the pups can go back and visit mom, dad, and the other sisters all at the same time. Luckily all 3 of the pups in the litter went to homes close to us in Texas. We are all very excited to see how the whole litter grew.

Riley Feb 07 GSD
Snowy Apr 06 Cat
Pichu Apr 06 Cat
Baby Girl Dec 07 Blind Tortie Shell Cat
Tiger Oct 08 Cat
Kiyoko Apr 09 DDB
At the Bridge:
Trooper Jan 93-0ct 03 my heart, my soul
Ruby Jan 98-Jan 11 GSD
Bear Aug 03-June 11 GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 01:07 PM

Blake goes to visit his mom and sister a lot. He's happy and content to go back home with us. I'd say it does him good...he's calmer, quieter and more 'assertive' when we get back. Don't know why.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 01:08 PM

Forgot to say...his sister is very dominant and is on his case when he's there. He doesn't have a lot of doggy manners and he annoys her a little...even with that...it all turns out good in the end.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 02:01 PM

Some breeders, including my own, offer Puppy K or "Puppy Socialization classes" for the pups they have bred. Three weeks after Gotcha day, I will have a chance to take my little guy back for Puppy K- and this will be with his littermates and pups from the next litter. He'll probably run into his biological parents, aunts, and uncles.

My pup was very unhappy about leaving, to the point that my wife and I felt aweful. He is adjusting well, but a I'm bit concerned about him reliving the separation trauma he experienced. Despite this we think the benefits of socailization make it worth going.

Our breeder seems knowledgible and has no problem with reunions. I'm sure can find animal behaviorists that are for and against the idea.

Chris
(a hapless human being trained by a Jedi)
Jedi, GSD , born May '09
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 10:05 PM
Crowned Member

I did a puppy kindergarten with my last litter. Only all but one were living with me. The one that was not was so keyed on me that it was hard for her handler. I owned the dog, though after the second week she took the pup home and brought her to the rest of the classes. There was only one outside pup in the class.

I think the idea of a puppy kindergarten is to socialize the dog in a non-threatening way to other dogs and another owners. I prefer to take mine to a puppy class that has big pups and little pups, and a variety of owner - types so they get a better mix of people and dogs.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 10:12 PM
Master Member

Aww, it must be so hard selling pups like that, who are so focused on you and love you. How's your two girls doing, did you get their spaces worked out?

Devin-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The cat's have profiles too, look in her family.
Tiny One Mewer (Tom)-Chartreux 4/3/01
Nico-DSH Tabby 4/13/08
Shai-DMH Torti Tabby 8/26/08
Rescues.
PLEASE ALTER YOUR PETS!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 08:50 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

ANY positive socialization is good good good and should have no impact on your 'pack'.

In fact the opposite is true, when we worry about our pack and unintentionally isolate our puppies from other dogs for months, THEN there may be future lifetime issues with any other dogs.

Our puppies live with us, learn from us, go to puppy classes with us, eat from us, get leadership and guidance from us. So for a few hours, to have them also learn and continue to develop the essential dog skills they will need during their lives, has nothing to do with OUR bond. Just makes us good leaders to be responsible enough to broaden their horizons and allow them to gain more valuable life skills.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for your help. I'm going to take her over there soon and I'm interested to see if her sister that pushed her around a little as a pup still gets away with it now :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page