Fear stage I created? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Fear stage I created?

Lainey used to love riding in the car. The other day I had to make a fast stop and it startled her. Now she isn't as comfortable in the car. How can I fix this- do I have to start from step one again or do I just ignore it and pretend it never happened? She is just shy of 9 months old.

Kim (MSPCA Vol.), Lainey (Lainey Express Destiny Ryanhaus) and Beau (formerly Booker GSD/Lab?- Rescue)

(At Rainbow Bridge) Vegas- Our Gentle Giant R.I.P. 2000-2008 Meisha - Moo Moo R.I.P. 1990-2000-All GSDs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 08:08 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Fear stage I created?

Are you using a doggie seatbelt? I love mine.

That aside, I'd load her up and go some place she really enjoys. Load her up again and again. Always fun... And if you have to slam on the brakes do not get upset - do the jollies with her.

That's what I'd do.

Good luck & keep us posted.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 09:08 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to windwalker718 Send a message via Yahoo to windwalker718
Re: Fear stage I created?

It takes time and reinforcement that it's a GOOD place to be.

We were in a rollover accident with two dogs in the truck. Klytie who always LOVED going for rides started stressing each time we were in the car. As middle says, go places she loves that are nearby... we took her to the river, and to McDonalds for ice cream... other times we kept treats in the car and would give her occasional goodies that she ONLY got in the car.

She's doing much better now, but be patient. The odd thing is that our other shepherd was thrown thru a window and lost for almost 2 months in the dead of winter in the mountains and he now LOVES the car, where as before he was anxious. So no telling how it will effect a dog.

Home of:
Bree... Rescue Mutt (12/11)
Demi V. Hayden (8/09)
SG Ikon V.Wolfstraum--(5/09)

& Many beloveds at the gate waiting for me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page