socialization for a 9 week old pup - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

socialization for a 9 week old pup

ok so I got my pup a week ago today. she got her 2nd shot on tuesday mid day. I'm wondering what all kind of socialization yall think is ok for her. the breeder is a bit of an extremist and she told me to take her only outside for a short while to potty and w/e until a week after her fourth shot. most things ive read from forums to books to magazines say that now is ok to take her basically anywhere. Would taking her to petsmart and to fields be ok or no? and any suggestions are welcome.

-John

--Halsey, DOB-05/04/2009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 09:52 PM
Master Member

Re: socialization for a 9 week old pup

Check with your vet before taking her anywhere. It really depends on where you live, because some areas have a very high rate of Parvo, Distemper, and other diseases. In my area, my vet said to wait until one week after second set (very, very low incidence of disease in my area), and even then only take her to areas that weren't frequented by many dogs. For now, I would recommend carrying on walks around town (bring a friend because she will get heavy!), car rides around areas where there are different sights, smells, noises. I took my girl to the drive in movies at 9 weeks, and she loved people watching from the truck.

Also check your contract to see if the breeder states not to socialize before all shots are completed.

I know it's hard to not bring her everywhere right away, but you can always have people and safe, vaccinated dogs come to your house to play. The vaccines will be over soon enough!

~Stephanie

Alexa (04/25/09)

Princess (GSD/Pit Rescue) October 1996-September 2004
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

ok will do, thanks for the advice. shes definately a hand full. she gets to be a moody when she's tired and ready for a nap. she likes to watch people as they walk by then try to run and meet them, tugs at the leash and such.

-John

--Halsey, DOB-05/04/2009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

yup no socialization till after the 3rd shot says the contract. which i havent yet but so tempting..also no raw till the 14th week, wonder why that is?

-John

--Halsey, DOB-05/04/2009
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 10:20 PM
Crowned Member

So how old was your pup when the first vac was given? Under 7 weeks and the vac is useless as the maternal antibodies are fighting off the vaccine.
If you keep this pup isolated for another 4 weeks, it won't be good for him. I would take him safe places=relatives, friends houses and as long as other dogs are healthy, your pup should be ok.
this recent thread may be helpful: https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...=3#Post1089104

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 10:25 PM
Crowned Member

To add to Jane's list, I used to take Otto to Home Depot all the time. Took him to the garden center, to get the oil changed, put gas in the car, bunch of stores in the village.

If you want to take your pup to petsmart/petco or anywhere that other dogs go, you need to hold him up off the ground. If you want to be super safe, take your shoes off before you come in the house - you could pick something up walking down the street then spread it around the house.

Many places if you walk up to the service desk holding an adorable puppy and ask if it's okay for him to be in the store, they usually gush and say sure.

As long as it's not somewhere that sells food, allowing dogs is usually up to the manager's discretion.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 10:59 PM
Banned

i didn't take my dog to pet stores untill he
had his 3rd round of shots. i waited a week after
the 3rd round of shots were given before going to
pet stores. we were in the woods a lot after his 2nd
round of shots. we were in puppy classes after his 2nd round of shots. we had people visit our dog, and dogs (pups) visit
our dog after his 2nd round of shots.

i found standing in front of the Supermarket was
a great place to people socialize. we went to the Vet
several times a week just so the Vet could pet and treat
our puppy and give him mock examinations. now when we go to the Vet there's no problems. is your puppy
ok during car rides? we visted some stables because i wanted
my puppy to be horse neutral.

there's so much you can do. good luck with the
new puppy.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 11:13 PM

Send a message via MSN to tintallie

Bass Pro Shops allow dogs inside if they are not aggressive and if you have poop bags to clean up after them (just take them out to potty before going inside!). They opened one in the Calgary, AB, Canada area and it is always super busy and open until 10pm. The first visit there with Miya had lots of people petting her and saying how friendly she is.

I have also heard that Orvis stores allow dogs inside, but they don't have any Canadian locations so I am not absolutely sure. Maybe try calling Cabela's as well if you have one near by? It seems like the fishing, hunting, and camping stores are more open to having dogs inside.

Are there any busy coffee shops around you where you could have a coffee at an outdoor patio table with your puppy and have everyone fawn over how cute she is?
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 11:19 PM
Crowned Member

Thing is- if you take the pup where other random dogs are, you have to carry your pup. Maybe go on craigslist and buy a stroller! or put him in a doggybag
I took Karlo to the garden centers(mom&pop-not big box) some of them have acres and acres of nursery stock you can wander around in and people love puppies, so he got alot of attention. This was the busy planting time of year, though. Now they are seldom busy.
I find the problem w/ vets office is sick dogs go to the vet, so this is another place where my pup never set foot til his 3rd set of vax. I live really close to mine so every week he went for a weigh in, I used a small crate pad to lay on the scale.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 11:34 PM

Send a message via MSN to tintallie

I've never seen any other dogs other than mine at the Bass Pro Shops location we have here. I just called ahead of time before making the trek there to double check that they allowed dogs. Most people were surprised and I heard people quietly say, "I didn't realize they allowed dogs in here."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page