Classroom visit tomorrow! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Classroom visit tomorrow!

I have recently graduated in the field of Child Psychology and was given the opportunity during my studies to work along side a teacher in a primary school classroom - it was a learning experience for sure!

Well, I have contacted this teacher and have explained about the importance of not only socializing our children but our pets (dogs) as well and she was very excited to welcome us (Stark and I) into the classroom for a visit.

So, tomorrow we are going to visit her summer school classroom! I think this is a wonderful opportunity for Stark to meet some children, as we do not get to meet as many as I would like on a day-to-day basis.

I will be sure to take a lot of pictures and post them when we get home. I am very excited as you can tell as this is a great opportunity for my boy to get socialized with some young children!

I will be sure to tire him out before as not to overwhelm the children with my big bouncy puppy, have plenty of treats on hand and toys and I am going to go into the classroom without Stark first to get the children ready (sit on the floor, no jumping or yelling when he comes in at first, let him smell you, etc).

Any other pointers or tips would be great!

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 01:05 PM

Re: Classroom visit tomorrow!

i agree -- this is a great opportunity. Tilden and i got the chance to participate in an elementary schools 'career day' where i went over pet related careers, careers for the dogs themselves, and responsible pet care. Tilden did so well, especially with the autistic kids, that we've been asked back several times and eventually i'd like him to earn his TDI (therapy dog) but he is still having some issues with separation.

as far as tips:

get a letter from the principal stating that she's aware of Starks visit (since you have no organization ties or certifications) -- that way if something happens (there is more to worry about than just bites -- scratching a kid, causing one to trip and fall, asthma attacks because of allergies, etc) it'll fall back on him/her.

be prepared for the kids to completely ignore any and everything that you've told them prior to bringing Stark into the class (also be prepared for the kids in the school yard, in the halls, etc -- they'll seriously go NUTS)

*there will always be one really dramatic kid who pretends to be terrified just for attention, lol.

if Stark knows any tricks, they'll get a kick out of that...

and one thing that i do when i'm visiting a class for the first time -- i prepare a flyer that says "Today I met Tilden..." with a photo of Tilden and a short bio with his age, breed, favorite toys and activities, etc. This always goes over really well and i choose two students to help pass them out.

best of luck!

ps. don't feel too pressured to take photos. at least i know our first time, i didnt have a spare hand or eye... but if the teacher could get a group shot of you guys - that'd be awesome!

eta: here is a thread i started before our first visit. i didnt read thru it again, but there may be some pointers or ideas there.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 03:00 PM

I would also ask them to only pet him on the back/neck, this way mouthing won't be too much of a potential problem... trying to get the children to listen though... that's another story lol.
Depending on class size and age, maybe you can have them separate into small groups before approaching him, so the chaos is more manageable.
Have fun & GL!

Owner to Minerva - 2yo uber pup & Zelda - 13 pounds of feline fury!

"The more I see of man, the more I like dogs." ~Mme. de StaŽl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 08:07 PM
Crowned Member

Also, if you are going to post pictues be sure you have a media release for each child. Other wise you may be violating privacy issues.

Notifying the principal and getting approval in writing was a great idea - liabilty could be an issue otherwise. bTW - your pup doesn't have to do anything 'bad' - a playful handshake with a toenail scraping could be a law suit in today's world.

Otherwise - enjoy your visit and the kids. It sounds like a wonderful opportunity.

Bonnie

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

With approval from:
Skye, CGC & certified therapy dog (GSD)
Buddy, CGC & certified therapy dog (golden, tripod)

RIP
Sophie - the life was too short dog
Solo - CGC, AAT 'stars in the sky dog'
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Skye'sMomAlso, if you are going to post pictues be sure you have a media release for each child. Other wise you may be violating privacy issues.

Notifying the principal and getting approval in writing was a great idea - liabilty could be an issue otherwise. bTW - your pup doesn't have to do anything 'bad' - a playful handshake with a toenail scraping could be a law suit in today's world.

Otherwise - enjoy your visit and the kids. It sounds like a wonderful opportunity.
Oh, I didn't mean of him WITH the kids, possibly the teachers but not the children.

I would NEVER post photo's of children (especially that aren't mine - don't have, don't want.. haha) on the internet, I don't think it is a good idea.

I will definitely post photo's of him in the classroom and such though!

We have permission from the Principal and have all the necessary things in line (I actually got a job offer at this location which is super nice!) so I hope all goes well.

I think splitting the class into groups was a good idea and may see if we can do that in the beginning.

Thanks everyone!

Now it's bath time for Stark, we decided it was a good idea to have a playdate at the park today and so he is FULL of dried doggy slobber! - wish me luck!

XX z Weberhaus
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Well, we did our visit and it wonderful!

We got the class to break up into two different groups and sit in a circle, Stark then got to come in and sniff everyone and everyone got to cuddle him for a bit (he ate this up BIG TIME), then we switched groups and did the same thing.

When I thought he was comfortable we brought everyone outside in their fenced play yard and a few kids got to throw the ball and a stick for Stark (he was on a large lead still though), which he LOVED!

We talked about responsible pet ownership (I had to demonstrate when outside as Stark had to umm... use the facilities), different types of jobs you can do with animals and a multitude of other things.

I talked about how you should approach a dog, told them to always ask the owner before approaching, etc..

I think it went really well and we were invited back!

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

Pictures to come!

XX z Weberhaus
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 12:09 AM

excellent!
...exactly the type of report i was waiting to hear. i'm glad it went so well and that you may have the opportunity to go back

great job to both of you!

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 09:37 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Congrats on having it work out so well.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page