Unsure of what to allow and what not to allow? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Unsure of what to allow and what not to allow?

This evening Stark and I went for a walk around the mall, it wasn't too busy and it was cold (jackets required in July?) out so I thought it would be a good opportunity to introduce a new place to Stark and not overwhelm him at the same time.

He did very well, no one came over to pet him (which surprised me)but he had plenty of onlookers. We even had 4 cars stop us and ask his age, name and to see if he was Purebred.. Haha.. The top 3 questions I get asked ALL the time.. Haha.

But my question is, when out in a new place, especially high traffic (both people and cars) what amount of sniffing and exploring do you allow? If he finds a "good spot" to sniff how long should I allow him to explore that area - until he is finished or for a few seconds before moving on? He is really good on a leash, a bit laggy when there are some more fun things happening (birds, dogs, kids, etc.. Haha) but obviously that's expected at his age.

I had him on his 4 foot leash and had it basically wrapped up next to me tight and encouraged him (with treats and praise - people probably thought I was crazy with all the high pitched "good boys" and "heels" I was doing) to follow right by my side. When there weren't too many people or where somewhere where there weren't alot of cars I let the leash go loose.

Any recommendations?

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 10:38 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Unsure of what to allow and what not to allow?

he is a puppy. i would let him explore his new surroundings, that's what puppies do.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 11:18 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted By: GSDTrainhe is a puppy. i would let him explore his new surroundings, that's what puppies do.
I agree. You want these socialization experiences to be stimulating and fun. NOT a strict, boring or stressful event with a puppy in 'heel' position. You want the exploration and ability of your puppy to just enjoy themselves and the day. Without too much interference from the person at the other end of the leash other than to manage the situation in general (keep the puppy out of traffic and all ).

You seen this yet, my pup at an indoor dog show (click here) and just a few weeks later at an outdoor location doing the same thing (click here) The puppy stuff is right after the agility run.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks everyone, that's what I have been doing.

The only time I had the leash tight to me was when we were crossing the parking lot and there were alot of cars zooming by (he didn't seemed phased by them).

I usually just let him control the walk so to say, have fun, explore and was hoping I am doing the right thing by that.

There are some times where we do work on "heel" such as when he is tired and walkin nice beside me I will say "good heel" or "heel Stark" but I don't usually keep the leash that tight to me, the cars and busy parking lot made me nervous and him not being afraid of the zooming cars made me leery.. :S

We are going to go back tomorrow I think (it's about a 20 minute walk from us) and try it again, he seemed to enjoy looking and smelling the building, benches, sale items.. Haha.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page