Right amount of play time for a pup?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Right amount of play time for a pup??

I was wondering if one of you could tell me what the right amount of play time is for a pup at 8 weeks and how it should increase with time. Right now we play with him for 10 mins after first AM potty break, some after breakfast (abt 15 mins of hang around mommy/daddy), some after breakfast potty break (if any) for abt 10 mins...then nap time....then potty and play for 10 mins....then lunch....again hang around for 10 mins....then potty (poo too if I'm lucky)...back to crate for abt 2 hrs....back out for potty and 15 mins of play time (drink water, treats).....back to crate until dinner time at 6-6:30 PM. hang 10 mins after dinner...potty....play another 10 mins and then down for the night around 7:30 PM...no play for night potty (too sleepy). I ask since Hugo is v active and cries each time I put him back in the crate (can get him in easy with treats so don't see resistance) so not sure if he's getting enough play time. I do need to crate him though since I don't want him running thru the house free (he has been resisting the leash and has been good off it even outside, heels w/o being taught) so we haven't enforced it. But I'm not sure if I should let him play more....he is tired each time we come in and naps in his crate but yelps for a good 10-15 mins before settling down. Should I add more play time? Also how should I increase it as the weeks go by...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 04:19 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Right amount of play time for a pup??

Most pups his age resist the leash. Best way to get him used to the leash is gradually. First just leave it laying around where he can "explore it" Look at it, sniff it, will probably try to chew on it also. Once he gets used to this, hook it on his collar and just let him run around the house with it on. (Watch him very very carefully so the doesnt hurt himself with it) Once he get used to having it connected, then you can hold it. He will probably resists at first, but once Rocky learn the leash meant walks and exploring something besides our backyard he didnt have any problems.

The yelping when first in the crate is normal also. Usually takes them a few weeks to get used to it. Not sure about the amount of playtime, but if it was my pup I would leave him out of the crate more to explore and spend time with the family. They can usually be contained using baby gates. Play time seems about right for a young pup.

Danielle

Mom to:
Rocky - 3 year old Black GSD
3 Skin Kids
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Danielle! that's a great idea about the leash training. we just came back from play time and I made a toy out of it and he thoroughly enjoyed it....chased it around and then tried to hide it behind some bushes with the rest of his toys. that was cute! :-) I would love to let him explore the house more but currently we have a pee situation. Hugo HAS to pee each time his feet touch carpet and we got a lotta carpet. So we're trying to regulate his water intake and his potty breaks so we get over this hump. Once we get that behind us, I'd like to put up gates and give him more mobility.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 12:42 PM

I was just thinking about this myself, but I got a little lost in the original post

Rookie is ten weeks old now and has settled nicely into his new digs. He wakes between 6 and 6:30 and promptly goes out for elimination and a 15-minute or so walk/run, followed by breakfast. Lunch is served between 12 and 12:30, dinner between 5 and 6. Bed is between 10 and 11. In between is filled with numerous naps, fits of play, and plenty of time for elimination. Somedays he's a dynamo and needs lots of play, other days he's somewhat tired and would rather sleep in. I play everything by ear with the exception of mealtime and bedtime, which is pretty firm. He's only in the crate at night or if we're not around. He naps wherever he falls.

I've put him on a leash over the last week since he's started to get a little "roamy" when outside, and he's still way too young for training with my Petwatch system. He does well on it and doesn't seem to mind eliminating on lead. We're also doing some intro-basic obedience to get primed for the formal stuff which begins in two weeks.

I'm curious to hear what everyone else is experiencing.

Cary
NY - 10509

Eich 3/4/01 - 9/30/08 (HSA)
Rookie 4/16/09 - 7/8/16 (HSA)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

I finally put him on the leash over the weekend and after a little bit of bucking he was finally ok with it. Like rockhead said, he was starting to get a little roamy and with no fence between homes, I did not want him running into neighbors' yards. He's done good so far except I have trouble getting the leash off him unless I have him held tight in my arms else he tries to bite my hands and has gotten lucky a couple of times. I have been having some trouble getting him to learn basic commands though. He does the sit but I can't get him to do the down. Each time I do, he pounces on the treat. Any different method to teach him this? I also want to teach him the "leave it" command since I'm trying to give him more mobility within our home and want to be able to tell him to not mouth/chew certain things. He's so treat driven though that with the cover treat with one hand method, he goes for my hand until I hurt bad and take my hand away. I had tried to give him a few timeouts and go at it again but same reaction. Any tips?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 08:04 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Lot's of great info to help prevent the normal frustrations with puppies can be found at:

http://www.clickertraining.com/puppy

http://www.dog-obedience-training-re...-training.html

http://www.clickertrainusa.com/click...g-articles.htm

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page