Hyperactive puppy. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Hyperactive puppy.

I need help. Bella has A LOT of energy, not normal GSD puppy energy, but like HUSKY puppy energy. She's such a good puppy, but when she gets hyper she does stuff she knows she is not supposed to do. Ie. Chases my cats, chews on furniture/laundry, jumps on me, scratching and biting. When she's calm, she doesn't do any of that stuff. I take her for walks, and she'll jog one block and want to go back home and inside. No doubt from the heat. What should I do??
She also ignores me when she's that hyper, if I call her, tell her to leave it, she acts like she can't hear me.
When we do go for walks, I jog with her sometimes, but when I get tired and want to walk, she basically rips my arm right out of it's socket trying to run. How can I teach her to heel, without having to yank on her? A martingale? How do I get her attention when she's a little fireball of energy? I want her to put her energy to something of good use, not to misbehave. Have any of you had a puppy like this? My family's other GSD puppies, have always been laid back, this is something new for me.

Devin-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The cat's have profiles too, look in her family.
Tiny One Mewer (Tom)-Chartreux 4/3/01
Nico-DSH Tabby 4/13/08
Shai-DMH Torti Tabby 8/26/08
Rescues.
PLEASE ALTER YOUR PETS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 05:14 PM
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

Re: Hyperactive puppy.

I would work on mental stimulation and exercise. A tired puppy is a happy puppy. Teach her games that will challenge her BRAIN and teach her to think and problem solve.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 06:16 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Bella is about 12 weeks old or so? There is no way that she "knows" that she isn't supposed to do those things - her brain isn't at that level yet. She is just being a NORMAL puppy, wanting to play - needing more outlets for her energy. You want to USE UP that energy, not extinguish it or squash it back.

Mental games, new places to walk and explore, lots of fetch and tug games! When she drives you nuts, take the time to play with her 10-15 minutes.

Take a tug with you on your walks, and training treats. Walks get boring for little puppies that want to go, go, go! So I throw in some heeling work for treats (just a few seconds at a time, at this age/stage), and also tugging! Proper walking on leash can come later when they have a better attention span.

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks for the advice guys! She's actually around 17 wks old now. Today on my way to work I actually found a OB training/puppy day care place, and I'm going to sign her up for it. They also train for agility, obviously not serious until she gets older and her bones finish growing. I really think she'd like playing around with it though, maybe learning the basics of the courses.

Devin-

The cat's have profiles too, look in her family.
Tiny One Mewer (Tom)-Chartreux 4/3/01
Nico-DSH Tabby 4/13/08
Shai-DMH Torti Tabby 8/26/08
Rescues.
PLEASE ALTER YOUR PETS!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 01:16 PM
Banned

how about puppy classes or OB classes. make sure she gets plenty of exercise. teach her to find things. this is something you can do in the house. make sure your pup isn't bored. make sure you spend time training your pup. do you have a trainer or are you training your puppy?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 09:34 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

This is what I have to do to get a well behaved pup, have you been doing this for hours each week?

Click here

Click here

and clcik here

as well as clicking here

Finishing up by clicking here...

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 11:57 AM

What kind of games do you suggest?

Owner of 'Myra', a beautiful GSD/2 cats - 'Spanky' (Orange Tabby) & 'Little Cat' (Hemmingway).
Mommy to 2 kids and a husband.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 07:14 PM

I would also like to know what kind of mental games you are referring to. And in general what type of games besides tug, fetch, hide and seek, do you play.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page