Proper Exercise for puppies - Page 9 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 109 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 09:00 AM

This thread makes me feel better. Last night I took Tucker on his first real hike. We walk on leash and off leash on the farm, and on leash when I'm staying in town, but usually no more than a mile or at a time. Occasionally 2 miles on the farm but we don't power walk. We do the occasional sprint through the field when the mood strikes us

He is 15 weeks old.

Last night we hiked about 3 miles or so and I worried maybe it was too much, but he didn't seem exhausted after. He DID sleep well, however. There were a few rocky places and some river crossings, and he had one crash and burn when he decided to run instead of pick his way down a short decline (I was more afraid he would attract predators with his screaming but was no worse for wear as soon as he realized he wasn't dying :what. Although I wonder how many campers packed up after hearing that strange animal in the woods :lol:

Tucker is a BIG pup and I want to balance enough exercise to keep him strong with being careful with his growing joints.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 109 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 10:15 AM

Thanks to this forum I have been enjoying off leash hiking with my GSD puppy.

I've had hip issues myself due to pregnancy so having been stuck to my bed most of last winter unable to walk I'm super concerned about HD in my puppy. I am still recovering (90% back!) and also training my 2 1/2 year old son to hike with me and I love taking both hiking. When she's loose I can always see when my puppy starts getting tired so we slow down or take a short break.

Tosca - born 30th May 2013

RIP Bella - 14th Dec 09 - 10th Sept 13 - Border Terrier
post #83 of 109 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 11:49 AM

I've realized since I got Jinx that I'm really out of shape. So I've decided to start a running program. Is it safe to take her with me? She is 6 months old. I can run by the edge of a cotton field near home if it's just the pavement that's bad. Also this it's for people who don't run at all and is more walking then running at the beginning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 11:26 AM

Sorry for the big thread bump, but I had a question regarding exercising my pup. I also had heard to minimize rigorous exercise and jumping/stairs while pups are developing. Tiberius is coming up on 12 weeks now and I'm just now letting him go down stairs slowly.

I had taken him on a couple of half mile walks around my neighborhood slowly. Starting out, he heels extremely well, loose leash and walking right next to me. However, about halfway through our walk when we turn to come home, he starts pulling me. I stop every time he pulls hard and have him sit, but right when we start again he starts pulling. I was wondering if he was doing this since he was tired of walking or wanting to get home? I would limit his sniffing of "dog areas" since he has not had all of his shots yet.

Any advice would be great!
post #85 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 11:40 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojosh View Post
I've read 5 minutes walking for each month of age. Cody is currently 7 months old meaning a 35 minute walk.

If you ask me, not NEARLY enough exercise. He gets a 20-25 min walk in the morning. A 50-60 min walk when i get home from work, and another say 10-15 minute walk later in the evening. He is still bouncing off the walks.

I just make sure he doesnt run on concrete much.
Well I have totally broken that rule. Tygo is almost 8 months old and he goes for 1/2 day hikes regularly. And like others, I live in a stair master house. Oh well. I'll report back in 10 years to see how it is going.

Karin
Dutch Shepherd - Ptygo (Tee-Go) de las Flores
Rescue GSD - Freyja (Husband's Dog)
post #86 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 05:43 PM

My whole house is tile floor.....Hopefully this won't causes future issues....He is almost 20 weeks....I'm starting to lose track of his age....Something like that,.....Take him on daily walks....I try to keep him in the grass, but he will walk some on the sidewalk until I get to the pastures and woods....

When at home, we try to keep him on leash when inside. But there are times he might get the occasional roam....
post #87 of 109 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 02:11 PM

At four months, we walk/hike for 45 mins. to an hour in the mornings and evenings, plus 20 to 30 mins. of fetch/chasing each other around the yard at lunch. I've slowly started introducing her to jogging, where we run part of the way, increasing the intensity/distance every time. Once we build up to a full run, I'll start biking with her (probably in a couple of months, at the rate things are going). On Sundays, she gets a couple of hours of either hiking, the off-leash dog park, or a vigorous playdate with a friend's Golden Retriever.

After all of this, she still has energy to burn. (Except on Sundays, then she's all happy and tuckered out
post #88 of 109 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 12:05 PM

Ok so I have read this thread and I have a question. How do you off leash hike/ walk your pup without them running off. I am about to pick up my little girl march 20th and would love to know how y'all do this because we have plenty of yard (about 2 acre) and tons of trails around us to hike but I'm afraid if she is off the leash she will run away at any deer or squirrel.
post #89 of 109 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 12:30 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisyline View Post
Ok so I have read this thread and I have a question. How do you off leash hike/ walk your pup without them running off. I am about to pick up my little girl march 20th and would love to know how y'all do this because we have plenty of yard (about 2 acre) and tons of trails around us to hike but I'm afraid if she is off the leash she will run away at any deer or squirrel.
You train! And follow all posted leash-laws for the area until you have confidence in your dog. That's just courtesy for other hikers if you're on public land. If you're on your own... train a solid recall, proof it, and then enjoy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #90 of 109 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 01:40 PM

we were supposed to wait up to one for the stairs and long walks?
im sorry, but my Kali is SUPER energetic. We took a 3 hour walk yesterday and while i was exhausted, she still wanted to walk. and she's about 3 or 4 months old.
she's so strong too, when she pulls. how could have i waited some 9 or 8 months for this?
she had no problems climbing up/down the stairs the first time she saw them. me carrying her is out of te question. she weighs some 10 kilograms [20 pounds] and i have back problems from carrying too much while moving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page