Proper Exercise for puppies - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 06:17 PM

Well, first, I really appreciate you taking the time to advise me (everyone?) on this.

I am just now figuring out how to get her to play with me. Instead of walking her so much I just play with her in the field. Since I'm starting to learn her personality and how she likes to play, I have only been walking her a few days a week, usually in the mornings, and not for more than about 30 minutes or so at a time.

I've been looking for puppy play stuff on meetup and on craigslist. No luck so far but I'm gonna keep trying. The breeder has two puppies she is starting to train in French Ring. If I could ever get a hold of her I bet she'd let me bring Gwen over to play with them.

I'm not familiar with Ellis or Leerburg. I'm doing basic obedience stuff (sit, down, stand etc.) using a book Cristine Dahl wrote ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FGood-Dog-101-Lessons-Healthy%2Fdp%2F1570615179&tag=5336432754-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325) for this. Regarding the trainer, I don't know what method he uses. I do know he is very anti-compulsion/anti-traditional/anti-military style training and absolutely hates Cesar Millan. He has titled a few dogs on the national level and several on the west coast in French Ring and his dogs and his students' dogs appear to be supremely happy and excited, especially when it's their turn to get out and do some training.

Our puppy, when she is old enough and has a good obedience foundation, will be trained in French Ring so long as I can continue to make the training classes. I don't intend to title her or really even push her that hard. I'd consider myself quite fortunate if she even makes it to the brevet level. I'll take her as far as she seems happy going I suppose. As long as she'll defend my wife and our home then I'm good.

I tend to be something of a hypochrondiac with my own life and have been applying that to my puppy. lol Logically, I know that there isn't really anything to worry about, but there is always that nagging concern that because things haven't gone perfectly, something will go wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolus View Post
No problem then - trust me, you'll appreciate that! :-)

I guess that stuff is region specific, but try googling puppy play classes in your area. You may want to try area-specific web forums also. Alternately you can also stalk popular dog-walk areas - parks etc.

Charging marker words sounds like Ellis/Leerburg stuff :-) I really like Ellis system (I'm not really into aversives, but apart from that I think Ellis is really great). Is your trainer using his system?

To be honest, I'm not sure. It's something about growth plates and the way joints develop, but if you want a more professional answer, you'll have to talk to a vet - that goes for the x-ray stuff as well (although I'm pretty sure x-rays aren't needed). A lot of people over-exercise their dogs and they go on to work out just fine - AFAIK it simply increases the likelihood of damage, it's not a sure thing by any means. Unless you've noticed any irregularities with her, I wouldn't be too concerned (but again, consult a vet if in doubt) :-)

Last edited by Superhero; 07-07-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 06:29 PM

lol sometimes she can be really stubborn about coming outside. She's really attached to our air conditioner!

We take her off leash hiking and whatnot already. She acts just like the videos you posted (I saw those while researching this topic too - they're great vids thanks!) and pretty much runs around having fun. She acts much like Glory B does. The first time we came up to a mountain stream she just leaped in and hasn't looked back since. She's a great swimmer, though she can't go for very long before getting tired.

I wish we knew some people like you to take her out with. She'd absolutely LOVE hiking with other puppies and dogs.

I am guilty of jogging her on pavement a few times (in retrospect, for a lot longer/farther than I should have even considered) once or twice while she was in her seventh week, but as soon as I found out that's bad I stopped.

She generally handles stairs, up and down, just fine, but from what I had been told stairs are a bad idea for them so when she doesn't wanna go down them I just carried her. I thought it was absurd too but meh, I'm still learning about large breeds and figured better safe than sorry. She learned how to negotiate stairs, more or less on her own, from day one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
ARE YOU KIDDING? You are carrying her?

If our 'working' breed can't do 8 steps then there is seriously something wrong with our breed. You don't need x-rays to know a NORMAL puppy should handle this. It's a great lesson in their learning body awareness and coordination. Which learning you are STUNTING by not letting them work it out and use their brains to figure it out.

We do NOT want repetitive exercise (jogging on pavement) or jarring exercise (jumping on and off the bed 100 times a day). But NORMAL is what happens in our day...

This is my 'normal' puppy and what is NORMAL exercise (off leash is best):
YouTube - Glory B (11 wks) and Bretta Lee (5 yrs) Hiking in the Woods

YouTube - Hiking the Poconos w/Friends and their dogs

Last edited by Superhero; 07-07-2010 at 06:31 PM.
post #43 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 08:00 PM

With my black lab.. when 10 weeks old, I started to let him chase me on the golf cart.

After awhile he got faster than the golf cart. I first started running him about half a mile when I got him. Then as time moved on, he could go 1.5 miles. He turned out just fine. Which is good.. at my place (corporate housing) my patio was on the second floor (basicly ontop of the garage) and one day he jumped off the roof onto the ground which was roughly 12-14' just so he could chase the golf cart. No broken bones or nothin. He was about 6 months when this happend..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 08:11 PM

Holy crap lol

Well I am glad to hear he came out ok!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamdude04 View Post
With my black lab.. when 10 weeks old, I started to let him chase me on the golf cart.

After awhile he got faster than the golf cart. I first started running him about half a mile when I got him. Then as time moved on, he could go 1.5 miles. He turned out just fine. Which is good.. at my place (corporate housing) my patio was on the second floor (basicly ontop of the garage) and one day he jumped off the roof onto the ground which was roughly 12-14' just so he could chase the golf cart. No broken bones or nothin. He was about 6 months when this happend..
post #45 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 04:19 PM
Crowned Member

What I have always been told and read is to limit FORCED exercise. They can do as much off leash exercise and playing as they want (as long as it's on soft surfaces, not concrete) and will stop when they get tired, but long leash walks or high-impact exercises like doing jumps or jogging should be avoided with puppies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #46 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 04:20 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolus View Post
Charging marker words sounds like Ellis/Leerburg stuff :-) I really like Ellis system (I'm not really into aversives, but apart from that I think Ellis is really great). Is your trainer using his system?
Actually "charging" is a clicker training term. My guess is Leerburg got it from reading about clicker training.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #47 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
We take her off leash hiking and whatnot already. She acts just like the videos you posted (I saw those while researching this topic too - they're great vids thanks!) and pretty much runs around having fun. She acts much like Glory B does. The first time we came up to a mountain stream she just leaped in and hasn't looked back since. She's a great swimmer, though she can't go for very long before getting tired.

I wish we knew some people like you to take her out with. She'd absolutely LOVE hiking with other puppies and dogs.
One of the other great things about attending dog/puppy classes is you get to meet other dog nuts and can meetup AFTER classes or on other days for meet ups and walks in the woods.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #48 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 04:52 PM

It's also been adapted for use with marker words, which are essentially the same thing as clicks except you use a word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagocanine View Post
Actually "charging" is a clicker training term. My guess is Leerburg got it from reading about clicker training.
post #49 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhero View Post
It's also been adapted for use with marker words, which are essentially the same thing as clicks except you use a word.
While you can use words, for most of us (specially in the initial training stages) it's just not the same. Humans talk ALL THE TIME. A clicker only means one thing, all the time.

Why Can't I Just Use My Voice? | Karen Pryor Clickertraining worth the free registration

Why Clicker Train?

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #50 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 05:22 PM

I know the benefits of using a clicker, I just don't want to have to always carry one around. I tend to be forgetful and leaving behind a clicker would probably cause me more problems than it would solve.

It also helps that my trainer uses words and it's won him a bunch of competitions so I think it'll all work out in the end. I don't think he uses marker words though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
While you can use words, for most of us (specially in the initial training stages) it's just not the same. Humans talk ALL THE TIME. A clicker only means one thing, all the time.

Why Can't I Just Use My Voice? | Karen Pryor Clickertraining worth the free registration

Why Clicker Train?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page