Proper Exercise for puppies - Page 11 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 109 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 08:04 PM

Took our dog for a few miles (couple of hours) of trail walking. Is this too much? 5 month old puppy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 109 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 08:09 PM

my boy at 5 months could go do a couple of miles along a beach and then back down along the road, and after a nap be ready for more. Watch you pup. A nice long casual walk should be fine.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #103 of 109 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 08:37 PM
Crowned Member

Town is 4 miles away from home. I don't know how old Jenna was. 4 months? 5 months? Be we walked into town. I gave her some water at the vets. Then we set out to walk back home. I got out of town to where my long, long street starts, and Jenna sat her butt on the ground refusing to move.

I had to lift her up onto my shoulders and carry her all the way back.

New rule: Do not walk any farther with your puppy than you are willing to carry them home.
FourIsCompany likes this.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #104 of 109 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Town is 4 miles away from home. I don't know how old Jenna was. 4 months? 5 months? Be we walked into town. I gave her some water at the vets. Then we set out to walk back home. I got out of town to where my long, long street starts, and Jenna sat her butt on the ground refusing to move.

I had to lift her up onto my shoulders and carry her all the way back.

New rule: Do not walk any farther with your puppy than you are willing to carry them home.

good advice Same goes for senior dogs. I had an old gal stop and need a rest on the opposite side of the park from where the car was...and she was way too large to carry! So we both took a break.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #105 of 109 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 02:07 AM

I'm so glad I saw this thread. I too kept hearing about restricted exercise, but man, Shadow has so much energy that he plays hard and runs around the house with our older rescue dog Pepper.

Pepper - Rescue Dog (Newfoundland/Lab Mix)

Shadow - Black GSD

Taz - One grouchy tuxedo cat!!
post #106 of 109 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 04:20 AM

I had the same doubt and after to talk with some trainner they all just say that excessive exercise is when the dog begins to want to stop and sit and you continue to insist with him, there you should stop and have a rest. My puppy with 3 months go hiking several miles and she is always chasing our adult dog and in the end she still want to play a bit more. When they are young, what all the recommend is not to walk in too soft ground like beach sand, too mud or snow.
post #107 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 04:01 PM

Question. About to bring home my GSD Baron - he is going to have 2 brothers and a sister (my other dogs). The males are older (9 and 12), my female (the biggest) is a bloodhound mix and is 4yrs old. She wants to play so bad. She is good with the Bassett across the street, I am getting a little concerned about her possibly being to rough with baby Baron, he will only be 9 weeks old. Of course, all play will be under our supervision. With all this said - we have a TON of stairs! Coming into the house and going into the backyard. I think he will be fine, just looking for thoughts!

We are massive dog people (hence why I am about to have 4 total) - I have been researching and educating myself on GSD's since I was about 10 yrs old! I have wanted one the majority of my life, but I also have a HUGE soft spot for rescues!

Thanks!
Jen
post #108 of 109 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 08:55 PM

Hi im hoping theres a doctor here orbsomeone with a similar problem. I want a second opinion on my 4.5 month old german shepherd. I got him when he was 8 weeks old (now 20) he was never an active puppy, slept a lot, didnt like running etc. He started avoiding going out and getting up a couple weeks ago. If something he wants is behinf him he will rotate with his front paws not moving the back ones. He will constantly lay down outside in the middle of a walk. He is on the heavy side, 20 weeks old and 57 pounds but surprisingly the vet said his height and overall size is also bigger than whats normal for his age ao that the weight is okay for his size. He got xrays done to check for hip dysplasia ive attaches his xrays, the vet pointed out the left femur head is smaller than the right and this is what is causing the pain, she also said he was born with this and it wont get better as he grows, hes on rimadyl 100mg and artroflex hip joint vitamins. The next step is to get xrays in december and decide if he needs a FHO wich is the removal of the femur head.
Attached Images

post #109 of 109 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 08:24 PM

Interesting thread. My girl is 4 months old with a high play drive. I don't let her do a lot of jumping, but I can't imagine not letting her burn off all of the energy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page