Bad behavior? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Bad behavior?

I took my pup who is 14 weeks to a local upscale pet store. I was looking at foods, getting samples and letting him socialize. anyhow, the owner came up and plopped down in front of him. He looked at her and sat by my leg. hes Aloof as he should be. He doesnt just approach people without assessing the situation first. She says "man hes skittish. You better watch that!" . He doesnt know you. Actually, he is very outgoing. I think it was her approach. He didnt do that with anyone else and has no other issues. We are working on taking treats easy and different commands. she expected way too much out of a baby who has never been in her store. it got on my nerves. Sorry about the mini rant. is there anything i should do or was i right just to walk him away and continue on about our business?

Taylor
Mommy of 5 little girls, Arwen-10/15/06-Blk/Tan GSD and Strider 03-23-10 Blk/Tan GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 05:30 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Bad behavior?

Mauser is very much the typical GSD when it comes to strangers. He basically greets them and then ignores them.

If someone comes up to us I get his attention and tell him to 'Say Hi'. This is my cue to him that he can approach the person. Usually he goes up to them, gives them a quick sniff, allows them to pet him for a second and then wanders off ... unless they have cookies.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 05:35 PM
Crowned Member

That's exactly what Jax does too. She's more interested in everything but the mere human.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 05:41 PM
Elite Member

I wonder what that store owner would say about Anton if she would care to offer him a treat and he would take it and then spit it out right in front of her LOL. Your puppy is just fine and you need to ignore some people and their comments.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

I really didnt know what to say to her. I just walked away. We took him camping and he was fine with everyone. She acted like he was gonna be vicious or something. he is fine as long as Im ok and He is very friendly to any child. Arwen is all about attention where Dax is more aloof as he should be. He will go thru doors, up stairs, walk in public places just fine. But is cautious when people just come up.

Taylor
Mommy of 5 little girls, Arwen-10/15/06-Blk/Tan GSD and Strider 03-23-10 Blk/Tan GSD
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 05:47 PM

I've noticed that some of the upscale petstore employee's or owners think they have it all figured out. Don't worry about her comments, she shouldnt me making a snap judgement about your dog.

Mara

<span style="color: red">Markos Ezekiel vom Spartanville (Zeke)- Born July 2008</span>
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 05:55 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Mandalay Send a message via Yahoo to Mandalay

Quote:
Originally Posted By: GSD07I wonder what that store owner would say about Anton if she would care to offer him a treat and he would take it and then spit it out right in front of her LOL.
Thats what Mandalay does. I tell them when they ask if they can give her a treat that she wont eat it unless it is REALLY REALLY yummy, but they insist on giving her these generic gross artificially flavored treats and 9 times out of 10 she'll spit them out and leave it on the floor for another dog to eat.

The dogs should be aloof. If he had been the opposite that person would have made a comment about how aggressive and forward he is and how you need to watch that.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
Mandalay, GSD, CGC, DOB 01-31-08
Mazy, White Boxer, DOB ? Sometime in 2010 we think
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 06:32 PM
Crowned Member

It seems the more and more someone tries to puppytalk and be all high-pitched "here girl" clappy clappy whistle whistle the more Anna ignores them. She'll go up to them on her own time/terms, sniff then hang out, but when they try their dangdest to make her come to them she gives them a "umm no silly human" look. You can tell they get their feelings hurt since she doesn't react like a fluffy froo froo dog or a lab, but that's just how she rolls.

Tiffany; mom to:
Annabelle "the Diva"- GSD born 9/21/08
Duncan- Shep Mix adopted on 2/14/00 TDI
The kitty amigos: Simon, Alley and Mia
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Exactly. He does it on his terms. He is a GSD not a Cockapoo ya know. I tried to explain that, but she thought he was showing bad behavior.

Taylor
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 12:22 AM
Crowned Member

we need pics of Dax!! Sounds like you are having fun !

-Steph

GSD's
Allie, gotcha 7/2007

Forever our angels
Meeka, b. 10/31/94-11/25/06
Kelso, b. 9/3/2006-2/09/12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page