When is it best to socialize with cats? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

When is it best to socialize with cats?

I do not have any, but I will in the future, and don't want to have the heartbreak of not being able to keep one, or go through months of training.

When is it best to socialize with cats?

I can easily get my hands on some kittens needing foster homes for a month or two, they are less likely to give a nasty bite or scratch to an annoying pup.. But kittens seem to think it's hilarious to play with a puppy, and make wonderful littermates IME.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sparkles, Lilith, Eve, Candy, Dahlia, Juno, Tonks.

Jaeger, Ben, Goose, Dirk, LingLing, Bentley, Elliot, Batman.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 01:02 PM

Re: When is it best to socialize with cats?

I would say as early as possible. I'm still working on socializing my new puppy with my cat....the problem isnt with the puppy...its my cat. Ranger is actually scared of the cat. The cat growls and hisses at him and tries to bite him (he's declawed). I tried having my husband hold Ranger and I held the cat and let them sniff each other. Ranger was interested...not all aggressive. The cat wanted no part of it.....clawed me to death with his back claws and took off and hid.

Now I'm not sure why since my cat and my old beagle that died got along fine. Neither bothered each other...but they'd stay in plain sight of each other and sniff each other. The cat will not come out at all if the puppy is awake.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 01:06 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

The younger the better. The earlier a puppy is socialized with cats, the lower the chances of him seeing them as prey objects. Ideal age is actually 5-6 weeks as studies have shown that whatever animals pups are exposed to at that early age of socialization they are far, far less prone to ever view as prey. So if the breeder has cats hopefully he/she can expose them to those cats a bit at that age.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

The breeder has no cats, as far as I know.
I will likely get him at 7 weeks. I know it's about a week early, but it's either 7 weeks, or 9-10 weeks, since those are the only times her son can get off of work and make the 9-10 hour round trip to come see our home and get the puppy comfortable with us.

It's possible I could get some kittens before he arrives so THEY are comfortable and a bit older by the time he gets here, and are big enough to be a playmate and not a toy.

Sparkles, Lilith, Eve, Candy, Dahlia, Juno, Tonks.

Jaeger, Ben, Goose, Dirk, LingLing, Bentley, Elliot, Batman.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 02:19 PM

We adopted our kitty when my dog was two and a half. Her only experience w/ cats prior to meeting the kitty were few and neutral to negative.

I used sort of a Cesar Milan approach and let the dog know that the cat belonged to me - because when I walked in the house w/ the kitty in my arms the dog looked at me sorta like "Is that for me / just put it on the floor and I'll take care of it." I hand fed them tuna out of the can while they sat together and every time they were calm w/ each other they would get a high value reward. For the first two weeks - at night I put the kitty in Ollie's crate w/ a small litter box and food / water. That was it and now they are pack members.

My point is that if you have an obedient dog who respects you - introducing a kitty to the mix shoud not be a big deal regardless of how much experience the pup has had w/ cats. Although the kitty was about 10 weeks old and not afraid of the dog. I don't know how well an older cat would adjust to the dog and vice versa.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0Fk9xfwlf0 _ check this out after about two weeks at home ...

Ollie - BH, TR - 2, CGC, HIC, HCT, TT

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 07:46 PM

Thats a great picture! We are trying to socialize our 10 week old male GSD with our cat. He is an outside only cat and he is not as impressed with the new addition to the family as we are! We also have a 3y/o welsh corgi who gets along great with both the pup and the cat. The corgi was "momma" to the cat when we brought him home as a stray only a week or two old (we had to hand feed him). So far the pup has calmly tried to approach the cat and he hisses and then takes off. He did get close enough once and got swatted in the nose (no damage). I look forward to following this thread for some suggestions as well.

Mike-Dad
Meredith-Mom
Emily
Daniel
Corkey-Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Boo-The cat
Wasko vom Haus Brezel GSD born 3-29-09
Roxy Von Jagenstadt GSD born 3-28-11
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 10:09 AM

I bring home my puppy tomorrow and am trying to prepair for my cats reaction and will also be watching this thread :-).
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted By: OllieGSDWe adopted our kitty when my dog was two and a half. Her only experience w/ cats prior to meeting the kitty were few and neutral to negative.

I used sort of a Cesar Milan approach and let the dog know that the cat belonged to me - because when I walked in the house w/ the kitty in my arms the dog looked at me sorta like "Is that for me / just put it on the floor and I'll take care of it." I hand fed them tuna out of the can while they sat together and every time they were calm w/ each other they would get a high value reward. For the first two weeks - at night I put the kitty in Ollie's crate w/ a small litter box and food / water. That was it and now they are pack members.

My point is that if you have an obedient dog who respects you - introducing a kitty to the mix shoud not be a big deal regardless of how much experience the pup has had w/ cats. Although the kitty was about 10 weeks old and not afraid of the dog. I don't know how well an older cat would adjust to the dog and vice versa.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0Fk9xfwlf0 _ check this out after about two weeks at home ...

This sounds like the type of adjustment our 4 month old puppy would deal best with. She is getting much better respecting that her toys are hers and our stuff is ours. Do you have any more info or details on how you brought a kitty into the mix or a link to a site explaining it. I've watched Dog Whisperer quite a few times and am familiar with some of Caesar's techinique's.

Your babies look so adorable together!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 09:02 PM

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1837997729
as early as possible ...Mason has a friend Shelby that he grew up with ...cat nips like a dog... they will learn to accept each other
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...&id=1837997729

Zima pound puppy Gsd mix Rip 14 years of love
Mason Rhea 05-16-2007 GSD

Fearless the Cat...Rip
Shelby the Cat ...she thinks she is a GSD
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 11:24 PM
Master Member

I agree, the younger the better. I have cats and dogs. A puppy coming into a house with cats will learn to respect them. Kittens coming into a dogs house will often be prey for life. Sounds like you need to get a kitten too!!! There's only a million of them looking for homes.

Cinzar's Dark Shadow Too (Ruger) CGC, RN 1/8/05
SG Quinn Z Old Farm (Cues) IPO 3, KKL 6/7/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page