Having two? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Having two?

I know I have read here several times that by raising two puppies, normally siblings, together will cause them to bond more to their puppy friend than to you.
Does anyone have experience with this actually happening?
I could see it happening if the dogs are left with each other most of the time, and don't get enough socialization or training.

I've seen pairs who grew up together that were left in a backyard for years but were wonderful after they got out of the situation.

My family's old shepherds grew up together, and they were great when together or separated... And I hate to asy it, but they were left out 24/7 and got walks every now and then, and never had formal training.

I am NOT getting another puppy with the one who is coming, I would love his brother, who I think is better looking, but I am attached to Jaeger and I don't need two poop machines running around.
I was just curious as to the actual experiences of people here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sparkles, Lilith, Eve, Candy, Dahlia, Juno, Tonks.

Jaeger, Ben, Goose, Dirk, LingLing, Bentley, Elliot, Batman.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 10:38 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Having two?

Yes. We had two boxers that were littermates. If we seperated them the female would stop eating. When the male died in an accident the female became very, very depressed and her temperament was unstable from the trauma. She still can't be trusted around strange ppl.

I, personally, would never get two puppies at the same time again and never from teh same litter.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Thank you, that is what I wanted to hear.
I take it she gathered confidence from him? Our female GSD was like that, she would get nervous when our male left anywhere... But after a day or so she would be fine.

As sad as your story is, I think it is very good to get them out here, I had no clue a few years ago, and it is good for others to hear firsthand accounts.

I'm sorry about your boy, it must have added insult to injury having her change as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sparkles, Lilith, Eve, Candy, Dahlia, Juno, Tonks.

Jaeger, Ben, Goose, Dirk, LingLing, Bentley, Elliot, Batman.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 11:40 AM
Crowned Member

Very much so, I have two brothers here right now (9 weeks old) that I just now separated. I'm noticing a huge difference already towards me now that they are separated.

Carolina Johnson

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 12:01 PM
Crowned Member

I think it really depends on the expectations for the dog. I've seen pairs turn out fine but generally these have been outdoor or farm dogs that don't have a lot of interaction with the family anyway so they have each other for companionship.

Since my dogs are kept indoors and they all do different activities with me, I want them to bond with me and be happy together or apart. Since I do some more competitive types of training (for trials and such) I spend a lot of time with my dogs one-on-one. For me, having littermates would be a bad idea because of the time and space and money I have, not necessarily because *they* would be miserable. I just don't have enough time to train two puppies at the same level one-on-one, nor the space for puppy pens, crating, playing independently, etc. or the money to raise them both the same way I would raise a single pup.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 06:59 PM

In March we got two ten month old rescue dog littermates (sisters) who were not properly socialized.

At first they were extremely bonded to each other, although they didn't ignore us, either.

Nearly three months later, they're bonded to us as well and we can take one out in the car or into the yard and leave the other one home in her crate and they're both just fine without being with each other every single minute of the day.

But we're retired and home with them all the time, so maybe that's a big factor...

Sarge *Rescue dog* 11/14/96 - 11/14/08
Samantha - 7/9/95 - 3/10/09
Amy *Rescue dog* - 4/1/96 - 6/2/09

****Rest Well, My Sweeties****

Lucy & Nikki - *Rescue dogs* Born 6/11/08

Adopted us: 3/31/09
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 08:48 PM

I have 2 brothers (12 wks) right now and for me it definitely makes a big difference if they are separated or together.

I had them out together for the first week, although they were in separate crates at night. Together it wass a non-stop play/fight fest. Once pounces on the other, they roll around on the floor biting ears and faces, and even if you manage to distract and call one out, the other jumps on the one you've called out to reengage him. If all you wanted to do was watch Puppy UFC this would be great, and when they would get tuckered out they would curl up together which is cute....However, this is definitely NOT what I want.

I also worried about the less dominant puppy (also the smaller puppy), while it generally looked like he gave as much as he got, since I want him to be a competition dog he needs to be confident and not being beat up all the time. Sure it looked like he was doing alright...but the constant play/fighting and having to struggle to maintain the toy/stick/mulch/leaf of the moment can't be good for his developing mental state.

They've been separated since 9 weeks, but I still take them to the vet together and they are just hideous. Even with 2 people to handle them, they still are after each other barking and carrying on from frustration at not being able to get at each other. It is also not nearly as bad with the older dogs. Now about 3 times a week I will let one puppy out with one adult dog, and the adult dog will pretty much ignore the puppy which is creating a more neutral puppy for me. I can call the puppy away from the adult dog, and play with the puppy and vice versa.

Separated they are much more focused on me, on toys, and treats, and training. They are easier to manage and I have to worry much less also about possible problems. I could definitely see where 2 littermates together could create a dog that is too dog focused.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 10:44 PM
Crowned Member

I have three sets of littermates.

Babs and Jenna were together until about 15 months old. Then I realized that Babs was not as tolerant of Jenna's bossyness, and I decided I would separate them.

I have NEVER had a problem with them being depressed or anxious when the other is gone. Occasional jealousy, but not bad between littermates, much worse between individual bitches. There has been no blood between Babs and Jenna to date. But at almost four years, they do not run together. They are kenneled next to eachother all day. In the evening one is in, at night the other is in most nights.

Heidi, Whitney, and Tori. Well, Tori was gone for six weeks and then came back to me. At that point she did not come back into the group as well as I had expected. When she left she was the top pup, bigger, more confident than the others. When she came back she was smokey, and timid, my crew was not too excited about having her back. So she was separated from Whitney and Heidi at nine weeks, came back at fifteen weeks and I had her in her own kennel by eighteen weeks. Heidi and Whitney were together longer. By a year old, though the new kennels were set up and each had their own. Only once did I have blood between any of the three, I wasn't there, my Dad brought one of the girls home for me. It was not an all out bitch fight though.

Milla and Ninja are ten months old. They have had separate kennels for about a month now. I still let them run together in the morning and evening.

I guess I do not ask permission of my dogs as to whom I can take out and work with. When I take Milla out, if Ninja bitches, tough, I do not even notice it. I took my dogs to training classes separately and I socialize separately from early on. When I go for a walk at night, I put two dogs in the car, then I take them separately for a walk.

So I guess I do not have inseparable dogs because they have been taken places separately all along. With each litter they were left in the puppy pen, together up through five or six months. Then one day I change the puppy pen and put them in crates at night.

For my dogs, it is rediculous to think they care more about each other than me. Sometimes I wish they would.

When my brother brough Scar to the same obedience classes with Violet, all Scar wanted to do was play with her littermate. But class is one hour. She has my brother all day. So the sister was exciting.

I do love to sit and watch littermates romp and play. I let them be puppies for a long time. When I take them out, to the vet, wherever, they pay attention to me.

What I worry most about having littermates, is them getting old and dying close to each other. Having eight dogs under four years of age means that ten years from now I will go through ****.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 07:23 PM
Knighted Member

I think that it is possible to have littermates, and still have normal balanced dogs. However, jsut like with everything else...I think the sucess depends very largely on the owners involved. And I would have to say that, those owners who are perfectly equipped to handle siblings appropriately are fewer and far between. I fostered three black lab pup siblings for about 3 months...I have never been so tiered in my life!

~Alison

Shadow-10 year old GSD (03-16-99)
Duchess-4 year old GSD (11/04)
Gianna vom Wildhaus-GSD (3-2-09)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 10:31 AM

Nikki and Lucy are littermates who spent 10 months of their lives with each other. At least one person had told me that it wasn't a good idea to get two from the same litter, as they would bond more to each other than to their humans, but I figured that since we're retired and here all day with them, there was less chance of them not bonding with us.

Three months after getting them, I don't see a problem. Yes, they definitely enjoy being with each other...and they do get pretty rambunctious in their play...but we can separate them with only minor fuss. Mostly I think the little bit of whining is because if we have to groom one or something, the other one is in her crate and there's a bit of envy going on..."Why do I have to stay in my bed????" sort of thing.

They have separate crates, although the crates are next to each other.

I'm not saying it's a walk in the park, because there is definitely a lot of activity around here, but at least when they nap during the day, they do it together so there's "downtime" for the humans. I like the idea of having two dogs because there are some things they like doing with each other that we just can't do, being humans and all...like running around the yard like maniacs

Sarge *Rescue dog* 11/14/96 - 11/14/08
Samantha - 7/9/95 - 3/10/09
Amy *Rescue dog* - 4/1/96 - 6/2/09

****Rest Well, My Sweeties****

Lucy & Nikki - *Rescue dogs* Born 6/11/08

Adopted us: 3/31/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page