Letting your puppy learn the hard way - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Letting your puppy learn the hard way

Hello all!

I have a neighbor that has a 110lb doberman pincher named Homer..He is probably 10 yrs old, not to active and has a bad hip..In any case, the 2nd week I coco (she was 12 weeks at that time) she kept nipping the doberman legs..After a few nips Homer grabbed my pup by the head and held her to the ground, her old head was in his mouth...I thought for sure she was hurt bad, but luckily she didnt have a scratch on her just alot of slobber!.In any case, the next few times coco saw Homer she was a bit more shy, and not as playful, now she is 16 weeks old and I think she has forgotten about that incident. When she see's Homer now she trys to swat him with her paw, she trys to jump up on him at times, and my neighbor tells me not to tell her no or to correct her, but I should let her get nipped again so she knows..He said dogs will work it out themselves and Im too worried about her safety....Is my neighbor right? Should I just let my dog get put in her place when she gets to playful with an older dog that doesn't seem to be interested in playing??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 06:04 PM
Elite Member

Re: Letting your puppy learn the hard way

If the dog has otherwise not shown aggression, I think it is in fact proper schooling being handed out. In that case I don't think there is danger involved. I will be very interested in other responses I anticipate you'll get.

Clover - GSD 9 yr old Rescue
R.I.P. Spats, Sophie, Emmie, Pooh Bear, Rogue, Max and Patton

Remember, if someone has a problem with you.........it is in fact their problem.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Weber1bIf the dog has otherwise not shown aggression, I think it is in fact proper schooling being handed out. In that case I don't think there is danger involved. I will be very interested in other responses I anticipate you'll get.
Im very interested also in responses.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 06:55 PM
Crowned Member

This is a 10 yr old dog that may be in some pain. I wouldn't subject my pup to him or want a pup harrassing my 10 yr dog if he wasn't into it.
Are there other dogs you can socialize your pup with? You can let them work it out- I doubt if either will be harmed w/ the interaction, but I would try to get another dog for her to play with-her energy level/age would be better.
When I got Onyx, Clover was 12 and Onyx brought excitement into Clovers life-in the beginning. They had to live together though. Onyx eventually became a bully to Clover, herding her, not letting her in or out. Whatever Clover wanted to do, Onyx was there to be her boss. She also showed food aggression to her. I gave Onyx the reward of her crate when she got out of hand. She won the crate game often!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 07:04 PM

It only takes a second to have a huge vet bill and a puppy scarred for life. I would find an older dog not in quite so much pain to introduce / socialize your pup with.

Ollie - BH, TR - 2, CGC, HIC, HCT, TT

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Weber1bIf the dog has otherwise not shown aggression, I think it is in fact proper schooling being handed out. In that case I don't think there is danger involved. I will be very interested in other responses I anticipate you'll get.
Homer doesn't show any aggression..Towards people or dogs walking by in the neighborhood....
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: onyx'girl This is a 10 yr old dog that may be in some pain. I wouldn't subject my pup to him or want a pup harrassing my 10 yr dog if he wasn't into it.
Are there other dogs you can socialize your pup with? You can let them work it out- I doubt if either will be harmed w/ the interaction, but I would try to get another dog for her to play with-her energy level/age would be better.
When I got Onyx, Clover was 12 and Onyx brought excitement into Clovers life-in the beginning. They had to live together though. Onyx eventually became a bully to Clover, herding her, not letting her in or out. Whatever Clover wanted to do, Onyx was there to be her boss. She also showed food aggression to her. I gave Onyx the reward of her crate when she got out of hand. She won the crate game often!
She plays with dogs mostly in the morning in the dog park...

The thing is, we leave in the same apartment building, we don't go out of our ways to make time for them to play together, we just bump into each other often normally out in front of our building.
I don;t want to seem like a rude person towards my neighbor or like an over worried nutt by not letting them interact at all.My pup does show respect, will sometimes sit closely to Homer, but other times is a little loopy and wants to play...
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 08:44 PM
Crowned Member

I would let the two work it out, with supervision. Because you are neighbors, maybe they will develop a great relationship, and Homer will be a smitten senior with Coco!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: onyx'girlI would let the two work it out, with supervision. Because you are neighbors, maybe they will develop a great relationship, and Homer will be a smitten senior with Coco!
Thats what I'm leaning towards, I'm surprised more has chimed in....I don't think I've seen any posts regarding dogs working out their issues naturally and without human intervention...
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Iannotti
Quote:
Originally Posted By: onyx'girlI would let the two work it out, with supervision. Because you are neighbors, maybe they will develop a great relationship, and Homer will be a smitten senior with Coco!
Thats what I'm leaning towards, I'm surprised more has chimed in....I don't think I've seen any posts regarding dogs working out their issues naturally and without human intervention...
Assuming there aren't any factors that make the older dog "unbalanced" (like pain), I'm all for letting an older dog teach a younger dog about appropriate behavior without human intervention. Even if the older dog isn't particularly tolerant, I think it's good for puppies to learn that different dogs will have different reactions to them and then should try to "read" the dog and situation before running headlong into interacting with another dog.

But I'm pretty hands-off these days when it comes to my dog interacting with other dogs.... I'm luck enough to have a puppy who's learned doggie communication really quickly and who's really social (although now that I think about it, what came first: me being hands- off or her being social?).

--Rhena, owner of
Juno, White German Shepherd, female b 10-15-2008, adopted 01-05-2009

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page