Puppy blowing her winter coat? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Puppy blowing her winter coat?

Juno (7 months old) seems to shed a lot all the time, so it's hard to say whether right now she's shedding an exceptional amount or not, but....

.... do puppies have enough of an undercoat to blow it when it warms up?

.... how long does it take?

.... she seems exceptionally itchy lately (she's always an itchy dog). A husky-owner we know said that her dog gets itchy when he's shedding and needs to be brushed a lot to help him get all that extra fur out. Can itchiness be related to shedding?

Thanks!

--Rhena, owner of
Juno, White German Shepherd, female b 10-15-2008, adopted 01-05-2009

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 11:13 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Puppy blowing her winter coat?

What are you feeding her? And do you supplement w/ salmon oil, vitamin E? I would look at the diet, first- your pup should just be in the middle of gaining her adult coat at 7 mos. not shedding it.
Onyx was born in November '06, and never blew her coat til she was almost 2, in June of last Summer.
The itchiness may be seasonal allergies or just the new coat coming in.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

She's on a raw diet -- we supplement with salmon oil (but not vit E).

It's possible that she's not blowing it... as I said above, she just seems to shed all the time (and perhaps me saying "a lot" is inaccurate -- maybe i don't know what I'm in for!!).

Thanks for the info .... it's good to know that she might not blow her coat until she's 2.

--Rhena, owner of

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Oh, I meant to ask.... can puppies this young have seasonal allergies? (I had read that it takes a few seasons of exposure before they can develop them.)

Oh, and good to know that it might be that the itchiness might be caused by her adult coat coming in....

--Rhena, owner of

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page