Young pups and dog parks - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Young pups and dog parks

Anyone take there young pup (4 months) to dog parks? There are 2 where I live and I normally take coco in with the larger dogs in the morning... She has a few friends she made. this one basset hound love rolling on his back and letting coco chomp on his ears an neck playfully. The problem is in the evening. I want her to run off leash and play with other dogs, but there is a different crowd in the early evening. Some owners not paying much attention to their dogs, the dogs seem to be a little more aggressive not to my liking for coco. My wife seems to think that I'm being to over protective of her and she'll be fine. Their was an incident yesterday where a dog kinda bullied her a bit. Coco took the ball he was playing with and ran off. The other dog would chase and coco would give a growl when he got close to her. I intervened when coco started snapping at the other dog. The other dog was ok at first but than started becoming aggressive back, and his owner had to get him by his collar. I than put cocos leash on and left, thinking what happen if my pup had gotten bitten. My wife seems to think our pup can hold her own, but I fear her getting bitten and having dog aggression problems later in life...Anyone think its better maybe to wait another month or two until coco gets a bit older and some more size before I let her in the dog park in the evenings? Is coco still in that development stage where experiences can develop into phobias?

I can't let her in the small dog run anymore as she is a nightmare and I have to pull her off the smaller dogs every 5 minutes....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 11:01 AM
Knighted Member

Re: Young pups and dog parks

I personally do not like dog parks, anyone with health certificates can come in and mess your dog up for life.
If you have no problems with the morning crowd, go then!
But if you want more socializing, find a group in your area with trained dogs who will help you out. Even if it's taking a group of dogs walking around neighborhoods, fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sparkles, Lilith, Eve, Candy, Dahlia, Juno, Tonks.

Jaeger, Ben, Goose, Dirk, LingLing, Bentley, Elliot, Batman.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 11:10 AM
Crowned Member

I like to take my dogs to dog parks but I am picky about who they play with and how they play. If I get there and I don't like the way the dogs are acting and/or the way the people are handling their dogs, I leave. If I were you I would avoid the evening crowd as your dog could learn some bad behaviors and/or get injured.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 11:11 AM
Crowned Member

Nope don't take him to dog parks

Dawn
GSRNE Volunteer
"A dog a day keeps the Doctor away!"

proudly owned by:
Brady von Barren Berg, CGC GSD 5/4/05
Cooper von Nordosten, GSD 12/27/10
Missy, Chocolate Lab 3/9/03
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 11:31 AM
dOg
Elite Member

Exactly why we don't do dog parks!
No place for pups, IMO.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 11:35 AM
Crowned Member

Just reread the age of the pup--if you have the option of finding a play group with dogs that you know I would go for that. Maybe you can exchange contact information with the basset hound's people? Then you could wait to do the dog park until your dog has more training and controlled socialization (sounds like she's already got some behaviors you'd like to work on) and is older.

My dog Rafi has several play buddies that I've met at the park or on walks. We arrange play dates for the dogs. That works great!

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 12:08 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to VectorSketcher

I do not do dog parks either, I had an incident with my 3yr old GSD once when he was 5 months, took me forever to get him back to his confident self. Too many things can happen there that I am not in control of. I like what Ruth suggested above, arrangements of play dates, that is the best and safest way I think.

-michelle-
Riddick-4yr GSD
Rogue-1yr GSD
Bishop-10yr Cat
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 12:11 PM
Elite Member

My friends and all my kids friends have a big laugh over the fact the our dogs have a play groups and do play dates. (what the heck, they are our kids aren't they) But I have found that off leash socialization and play with people and dogs you know can be so positive and then you don't have stranger's and strange dogs that you have to worry about. I agree with others here that especially for a puppy this would be the way to go if you can set it up.

Clover - GSD 9 yr old Rescue
R.I.P. Spats, Sophie, Emmie, Pooh Bear, Rogue, Max and Patton

Remember, if someone has a problem with you.........it is in fact their problem.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 12:14 PM
Master Member

My vet told me not to take my GSD to the dog park until he has ALL of his shots and he is about 6 months old. I plan to take him eventually to better his social skills, but not anytime soon. For now, I'm just bringing him to his obiendence classes to socialize with other dogs.

~Rachel
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

I was thinking also maybe wait to 6 or so months....I just wished my wife had the same views, as she does care about our dig, I think she can be a little nieve what could actually happen..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page