Proper socializing. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Proper socializing.

We do have a few nice parks around here, but they allow any kind of person or dog in, and I run into a lot of aggression.

All of my dog's except Sparkles have been dog aggressive, and I don't want another.

what are some good places to go? I have a few neighbors with friendly dogs, and a group who go for pack walks one in a while.. But that's it.
$150 for a few PetSmart classes, or even more for professional classes, is a bit too much these days, especially when you can have an unexpected vet bill.

I don't want another like the ones we had, I am just so nervous that that is going to happen.
The puppy I want is currently in a pen. working with inmates and other dogs, so he should be decent if I do get him.

ANY tips about anything puppy, no matter how insignificant they may seem, are very appreciated. I've raised several dogs, but never have I raised them for their obedience and proper training.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sparkles, Lilith, Eve, Candy, Dahlia, Juno, Tonks.

Jaeger, Ben, Goose, Dirk, LingLing, Bentley, Elliot, Batman.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 03:21 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Proper socializing.

Good breeding is the best place to start. Nerves have a ton to do with a dog being aggressive or not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 04:17 PM
Crowned Member

I think you're adopting a dog, right? I assume that it's a dog in a prison program?

I have adopted lots of dogs with unknown parentage. When I got Rafi he was a little unsure around other dogs and this was causing problems. After working with him on his own for a while I started seeking out friendly dogs in my neighborhood and on walks and let them interact and then if they wanted to they got to play together.

Since then I've lived I have found a couple of informal groups of people who get together and let their dogs play. I take Rafi to one (it's just a group who walks their dogs at the same time on a path and baseball field) and there are a couple of gsds, a golden, a sheltie and lots of mixes. They are all nice dogs and everyone watches out for everyone else's dogs. It has been really wonderful for Rafi and he is now excellent with other dogs.

I would look around for stuff like and you might even consider trying to put together a play group that meets a couple of days a week.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I am, I fell in love with the little boy, I sent an app and I'm hoping they accept.

I thought about that, even if it's just going for a long walk and letting them interact.
The current group of walkers includes:
3 EB's, 2 are pups
1 boston terrier
1 SC wheaten
a couple of lab mixes
some pit mixes and a poodle.
Should be fun if he's good, but at his age, if I am accepted, I'm sure training could fix any issues.

Sparkles, Lilith, Eve, Candy, Dahlia, Juno, Tonks.

Jaeger, Ben, Goose, Dirk, LingLing, Bentley, Elliot, Batman.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 04:06 PM
Crowned Member

Here is a good article about socialization which discusses what you should be doing during each socialization period, including suggestions of places to go:
http://www.dogscouts1.com/How_to_socialize.html

and there is more info here:
http://www.dogscouts1.com/Puppies_section.html

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 04:18 PM
Crowned Member

Not so much places, but one thing that many dogs have trouble with are open-backed stairs. We have them at home so luckily we fixed that but that was really the only thing Nikon has shied away from.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page