Puppy Growth - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Puppy Growth

Anyone else ever notice their puppy growing in size yet not gaining weight? Yes, I know it sound like an oxymoron, yet I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this one. Let me elaborate.

For nearly two months now, my 10 month old has been fluctuatiing between approximately 65 and 69 pounds, according to the vet's scale, yet she is still getting bigger, at least skeletally, she is. I can see her growing longer and taller, and getting wider in the shoulder area, but she hasn't gained one pound. Granted, she's trim, and not undernourished or skinny.

A vet tech told me that she's probably having a growth spurt. When I questioned that "diagnosis", I was told that during a growth spurt, sometimes all their calories go toward the type of growth I'm seeing and don't necessarily manifest themselves into weight gain. Huh?

I mean, if she's getting taller, longer and slightly wider, skeletally, wouldn't she still gain weight? How much "weight" (major pun) should I place on this vet tech's theory?

Obedience, Behavior, Personal Protection Training

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Maya vom Hinterland - whelped July, 2008
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 03:02 AM

Re: Puppy Growth

Vets are vets for a reason, trust them, and believe me your furkid will be puting on the pounds when she is ready. Her body is turning all the food she eats into "growing energy" instead of "storing energy" or even "muscular energy". So believe your bet when they tell you your baby is still gettting the needed nutrition.

Death before dismount

Zeus~~ March 23 2009

At the Bridge

Sampson (GSD)~~ March 1995 ~~ March 2009
JAX (ACD / LAB)~~ Nov 2009 ~~ March 2009
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 07:17 AM
Elite Member

My dog at one point jumped 2 inches taller, no weight gain. He became square and very thin. Went from 24" to 26" but stayed 60 lbs. He hasn't grown much taller, maybe 1/2" but is now 74 lbs at 13 months, and still terribly skinny. He has gotten longer again and has some chest but is still not filled out. I do keep reminding myself of teenage boys, who often become tall, lanky and all feet and clutzy. Ty has become much more agile and less legs all over but I know he is still in process. I think your dog is probably the same, people keep telling me he will keep growing til 2-3 yrs old, not necessarily taller but filling in. So stay possitive it will all come together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Wait, maybe I miscommunicated what I was trying to say, even though I KNOW what I was trying to say.

I'm not questioning the nutrition my dog is receiving, nor am I the least bit concerned with her not gaining weight, because this is my 4th GSD among other dogs I've previously owned. I've also trained many, MANY, GSDs in my life.

I know that many, if not all, GSDs don't even start filling out until well into their second year, and can do so up to 3 years of age. What I do question, and doesn't make sense to me, is that a dog can grow in size and not gain weight, and in fact, possibly LOSE weight during that process.

I don't remember any of my other dogs ever doing this, although it may be that I just never noticed or even remember such an anomaly, if that's what it is, but it sure is weird, and I wanted to know if anyone else has noticed this, because I am starting to wonder if the vet's scale is inaccurate.

I mean, every time my dog steps on my foot it, hurts more and more each time!

The theory of "growing" energy vs. "storing", or even "muscular", energy I understand, but to not see weight gain, or again seeing loss of weight gain, during growth is quite puzzling. Like I said, my dog is not skinny, either, so seeing her so obviously grow in size yet not see a change on the scale doesn't make a whole lot of sense. So, I was curious to hear if anyone else experienced this, or more accurately, NOTICED this in their own dogs, or is it possible that a vet's scale is off? I doubt the latter, because I would think that if their scale was off, that would cause them all kinds of problems such as incorrect meds dosages, etc.

And, then again, could it be that maybe I'm just witnessing one of those unexplainable miracles of life?

Obedience, Behavior, Personal Protection Training

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Maya vom Hinterland - whelped July, 2008
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 11:32 AM
Elite Member

well I seem to gain weight and not get any bigger, hmm, that may be wishful thinking on my part, not the gaining weight.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 11:28 PM
Master Member

Lainey is getting longer but doesn't seem to be getting taller or heavier- though I haven't weighed her. She seemed perfectly proportioned a couple of weeks ago. Maybe it has to do with the lineage of the dog? If the parents have those growing characteristics or not? American lines vs. german? Working lines vs. non-working? Their bodies seem to be as smart as their brains! Watching them grow is as fascinating as watching them learn.

Kim (MSPCA Vol.), Lainey (Lainey Express Destiny Ryanhaus) and Beau (formerly Booker GSD/Lab?- Rescue)

(At Rainbow Bridge) Vegas- Our Gentle Giant R.I.P. 2000-2008 Meisha - Moo Moo R.I.P. 1990-2000-All GSDs
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 01:10 PM

I've noticed the same thing with my dog. In the past couple of months he's definately filled out but remains the same weight 76-78lbs. I thought it was the scale at first but 5 different scales cant be broken at once, lol.

Lyra (Sterks Aleta)~Dutch Shepherd
Mace vom Misteri, FO ~ GSD
Ryot ~GSD (my true heart dog
RIP)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page