Is Zeke a small fry? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Is Zeke a small fry?

Zeke will be ten months old next week and he is barely 60lbs. He has been between 55-60lbs for the past month or more. I haven't measured him lately, but he does seem a bit short for his age. He is extremely handsome none the less

About a month ago I increased his food intake because I thought he looked a little skinny. Within a couple weeks he was looking almost too chubby, but now looks perfect. I cant see his ribs, but can feel his back rib easily. I do try to keep him a bit lean, but healthy.

Has anyone else had an East German/Czech working line dog weigh so little at almost ten months? Do you think he will be a small adult? His dad (Puck vom Grafental) is app. 90lbs, and his mother (Wicky Anebri) is a bit small but I'm not sure exactly her weight.

Zeke is intact. I should also add that his head has really grown in the past couple weeks, but his body hasnt quite followed!

Mara

Mara

<span style="color: red">Markos Ezekiel vom Spartanville (Zeke)- Born July 2008</span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 01:49 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Is Zeke a small fry?

I've never had an East German/Czech working line dog, however, I will say that your boy probably has another year of filling out to do so don't worry about his weight!

I'm sure someone will be able to offer more insight but I hope this helps.

Ashley,
proud owner of:
Jerzey, Bi-color GSD. 4/23/08
Koji, spotted shelter kitty.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 02:11 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I have a working line that is mostly west german lines, and he is on the small size too - well, smaller than most, I guess, as I think he is a good medium sized dog, as what GSDs were intended to be.

He weighed around 60lbs at 10-11 months, and now only a few days shy of his first birthday, he weighed in at 65lbs.

They will go through growth spurts, and you need to adjust their food, exactly as you are doing - I just went through something similiar with Falkor - seemed to me he was gaining weight, so I cut down his rations. Then the other day I was looking at how much space he was using up sitting in the back of the car/hatch area, and I'm thinking to myself, did he just go through a growth spurt? He seems to fill up the space more. And sure enough, he put on five pounds in about six weeks! Now I can feel his ribs very easily, so I'm again feeding him a bit more.

Your pup may still go through some growth spurts, just continue doing as you are, his final correct weight and size will be determined by genetics, more than by how much you feed him.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 02:37 PM
Crowned Member

if he is intact and are you planning on keeping him intact?

My Brady is East and is intact.
once he hits 3 holy moly the chest fills right out
My dh and I were shaking our heads
Bradys sire weight 120 and dam 80
Right now he weighs 114 and is all muscle

Zeke is a baby still can I see some photos

Dawn
GSRNE Volunteer
"A dog a day keeps the Doctor away!"

proudly owned by:
Brady von Barren Berg, CGC GSD 5/4/05
Cooper von Nordosten, GSD 12/27/10
Missy, Chocolate Lab 3/9/03
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your comments guys. Lucia, I do try to remind myself that Zeke will reach a size that is more genetically predetermined than nurtured. I don't mind if he is a smaller sized male, because he looks healthy and proportionate (his ears are pretty big though!).

Dawn, to answer your question, I do plan to neuter him eventually but I want to wait until 18 months. He has never been much of a "humper", and shows no interest in female dogs as of yet so until that changes or some other unwanted behaviors show themselves, I will hold off. It has occurred to me that even if I neuter at 18months, he may not reach his full potential in size. I suppose I'm playing it by ear.

I actually heard someone tell me a couple days ago that German Shepherds will just "snap" if they arent neutered and that I should do it right away because he could turn on me. She then went on to say that I should be "running the **** out of him" on the pavement when I go for my own jogs. I told her I was waiting until he was at least a year old and she was so convinced that he needed it now, and that the dog park, long waks, etc were not good enough. Sher lost her gsd in a breakup and blames her ex for letting it get hip dysplasia. She claims her ex didnt exercise it enough, but didnt think the fact that she "ran the **** out of it" on the pavement as a puppy could have anything to do with the hd. Oh, and she said I should never give him steak bites as a high value reward. No I should only give him fresh vegetables as treats. Sorry for that rant, I was in disbelief!

Mara

<span style="color: red">Markos Ezekiel vom Spartanville (Zeke)- Born July 2008</span>
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 03:42 PM
Crowned Member

Diabla is a mix of East and German working lines. For months she was stuck in 50 lbs and when she reached 14 months old she put 5 more lbs on her of muscular mass. Yes, still a pocket sized GSD if you compare her with the average German SL that is seen around, but yet a very comfortable size to have at home (specially over your bed) and for work too. I still expect her to gain a couple of lbs. in the next year, year and a half, but by now she's already on what she will ever be. Nothing wrong with that.

Well Mara, at least that person recommended vegetables and not noodles...

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Ha, noodles! Yeah, maybe Zeke needs to get on the Top Ramen diet, I hear that one is great for growing puppies.

Mara

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 07:58 PM
Crowned Member

I don't think anyone can answer this question without seeing pictures of Zeke

Dante - March 2004
Kaos von Wolfstraum Oct 2011

"Today is tomorrow's time machine" ~ Dr G ~
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted By: MLou
I actually heard someone tell me a couple days ago that German Shepherds will just "snap" if they arent neutered and that I should do it right away because he could turn on me.
I don't want to change subjects but I just have to ask. I've always had GSD (males for the most part) and have never, ever neutered them. Never did I have an experience with them "just snapping" because they were not fixed. (Maybe I was just lucky with the several male GS I have had.) I kept my males "intact" because I wanted to make sure they kept that extra edge since we had them for protection. Whether or not that is a false theory I don't know as I am not a GS expert only a lifetime owner of several and was told if you want to make sure they don't get lazy, fat and less alert don't neuter them.

As for that woman she sounds a bit off and very bitter. I would just blow her off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page