Meeting people while on walks - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Meeting people while on walks

Me and my wife just got a 15 week female. She is a great dog and gets along well with our 5 year old lab. I am looking for information on how you guys deal with people while walking? Lila get a little scared wants to back up and hide behind us. Every now and then she will even bark. When we first got her we would have her sit and watch things from a distance, is this putting to much focus on what ever is making a noise are we better off to ignore it?

I worked with my lab and she is a great dog but after reading how important it is to socialize a GSD I may be a little to worried about it.

I would love any advice, my wife and I are working on clicker training, very new to me my lab was trained for hunting and just throwing a toy was the perfect reward for her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 09:45 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Meeting people while on walks

When you meet people on the street - don't force her to do anything. If she wants to hide behind your leg, it's okay. Don't coddle her 'Oh come on Lila it's okay' None of that. Just ignore it, she'll come around.

Just keep things light when you meet new people - if they want to pet her, just tell them she's shy. Chances are if you talk to someone for a few minutes and they ignore her, she'll go over and sniff them.

Been there done that, my shy girl is a happy well adjusted 7 1/2 year old who's still a bit aloof but she hasn't hidden behind my leg in a looooong time.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks I have been very careful not to force her to meet anybody. I will work on not coddling her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 10:17 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I agree to not force her to meet anyone..........

instead I'd open up that ziplock bag full of teeny pea-sized pieces of cut up hotdogs/cheese/chicken/liver/whatever and hand it over to the stranger asking 'will you feed my puppy?'.

As well as putting on your 'happy voice' when you see someone coming along. Like YOU know them. YOU are happy and excited. And YOU are now getting into that ziplock to hand out those extra special super yummy treats that all these wonderful new people keep giving out!

A happy and confident puppy makes a confident and thinking adult dog. And that's what we all want.

(BTW, good for you all for working with the clicker )

Here's some great sites with more puppy info...

http://home.flash.net/~astroman/primer1.html

http://www.schutzhund-training.com/puppy_tips.html

http://www.vanerp.net/ilse/GSDINFO/u...dyourpuppy.htm

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 08:56 PM
Master Member

I had the mailman give Lainey her most loved treats and once he did this twice, Lainey loves to see him. Treats are great! My problem is the opposite. Lainey wants to meet everybody is takes it personally if someone ignores her LOL!!

Kim (MSPCA Vol.), Lainey (Lainey Express Destiny Ryanhaus) and Beau (formerly Booker GSD/Lab?- Rescue)

(At Rainbow Bridge) Vegas- Our Gentle Giant R.I.P. 2000-2008 Meisha - Moo Moo R.I.P. 1990-2000-All GSDs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page