Introducing new pup to other house dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Introducing new pup to other house dog

We currently have a seven yr old female, Nadia. She is our first GSD and was given to us when she was 1 1/2yrs old she is also an outdoor dog. We are very excited for the arrival of our new pup in about seven weeks, he shall be named Kino. Kino will also be an outdoor dog and I know majority of pet owners here may not like the sound of that. Because Nadia has been the only dog here with her own doghouse and bed, I want to make sure I take the proper steps to avoid any hostility between the both of them. How do I introduce them? Am I going to need to buy a crate and keep Kino in there during the nights next to Nadia since eventually he will be sleeping in the same area as her or do I keep the crate in the laundry room of our home for the first few nights? There is no way my husband will want the puppy in our bedroom. I will bring some bedsheets that will carry the scent of his siblings to help him with any separation anxiety. Since I work from home, I will do my best to keep Kino busy so he will sleep through the evening. When it comes to feeding do I feed Nadia first or can I feed them together (of course at a distance). How do I approach both dogs, I'm sure the puppy will be so excited and jumpy to see me do I pet Nadia first then the puppy? I'm afraid Nadia will get jealous and may bite Kino. I have been reading puppy threads but haven't seemed to find one about puppies meeting other house dogs. Thank you all for your input and advice from your own experiences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 08:28 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Introducing new pup to other house dog

How old is the pup? Why are you getting another pup to keep outside? Does the breeder know this will be the arrangement? Has Nadia been socialized with other dogs, or just confined to the back yard. It makes a huge difference in the introduction if Nadia is only in her territory, and not out and about in the real world. She may act hostile to an intruder. Sorry for all the Q's. I just brought home a pup and wouldn't dream of keeping him outside or in a laundry room. He was fine in my bedroom in a crate from the first night. I just put my hands inside if he wimpered and he sniffed them, settled back down to sleep... this was (I believe) because my pups breeder did everything right in getting these babies ready for their new homes, crate training included. The breeder has older dogs that socialized the pups, as well. This link is great, it shows the right way to get the pups off to the best start in life: http://www.wildhauskennels.com/purchaseinfo2.htm
I have two females 4 and 2 and they are dog socialized. I had no problems whatsoever introducing the puppy to them. I had him in my arms for the first sniffs and told my girls they were good dogs, happy praising voice positive vibes. Then one at a time I introduced him to them while he was on the floor. NOT outside where they could take after him if he ran. This is important especially for a prey driven dog, IMO.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

Re: Introducing new pup to other house dog

Nadia behaves well around people and other dogs. Cats on the other hand she does not get along with. Over the past years she's gone camping, hikes, walkathons, petstores just about anywhere she's welcome. Remember she was given to us when she was a year and a half, I remember her previous owner saying she slept outside in their backyard. We tried to have her stay inside but with all hardwood flooring and tile she just didn't like it. My husband on the other hand could not get over all the hair left behind it seemed she would just walk against you and leave all sorts of hair for you to brush off. There are several occasions I have her come inspect the house from running errands when I feel uneasy (since we live out in the country) but she whimpers to be let right back outside. I was just wanting to know what steps to make the transition for our new puppy easier. By the time our puppy is ready to come home the weather will be very tolerable for it gets pretty warm here in the central valley.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page