Sleep questions... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Sleep questions...

Hey all, I just got a 14 week old pup (belle). She is not only my first german shepherd, but also my first dog.
Our pup has to sleep in the Lanai, so I have a question about bedtime. First of all, does she have night vision, and if yes then to what extent?
We have street lights in the distance in the backyard, but I just want to make sure she can see her way around if she has to get up.
Second of all, should she be sleeping through the night or is it normal for her to get up sometimes. She gets up and makes noise but I'm not really sure why.
Help. I appreciate the advice. Im trying the best I can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 10:34 PM
Master Member

Re: Sleep questions...

Anna are you crating Belle? If not, may I ask why? This may be a safe way to keep her from hurting herself or getting herself in trouble. At 14 weeks of age, I didn't trust my GS to be out and about on his own. I would crate him during the night, of course, I would hear him get up and change positions or he may whine because he had to go out, but otherwise, he slept right through the night.

I would recommend crating Belle. It would also allow you to rest easier knowing she is safe.

We are loved beyond our capacity to comprehend ~Jewel

Stewie, Orange Tabby, yrs old
Shane, GSD, 20 months
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 11:26 PM
Banned

i also think you should crate your puppy during the night.
your puppy can probably hold it over night. at 4 months old
i would let my puppy out in the middle of the night. i like my dogs to be comfortable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

I am not crating belle yet. I was thinking about it, but because our lanai is relatively small, I figured it would be ok. Besides what if she does "go" in her crate in the middle of the night?
Should she be sleeping throughout the night at her age?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 11:19 AM

I would absolutely get a crate! Not only will it help housebreak your pup, it will, as the others have said keep her safe.

Plus, if you need some "you" time, the crate is ...great.

There are many threads about crate training. For your sanity and the dogs safety, due some research and start crate training.

Good luck!

s.t.s.

<span style="color: blue">The more people I meet the more I like my dog.
-Author Unknown</span>
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 03:06 AM
Crowned Member

What is a lanai? It is much easier to housebreak your pup if they sleep in your room in a crate.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 04:02 PM

Assuming the crate is the right size for her -- not too big -- just enough room for her to lie down and turn around, she'll likely cry or whine if she needs to "go" while she's in her crate at night. Dogs don't like to have to pee and poop where the sleep and eat.

From 12 weeks on, we only had to take Juno out right before bed, once in the middle of the night (we set our alarm clock), and then first thing in the morning. That lasted only about two weeks -- by four months, she could definitely hold it all night.

She's always slept through the night -- she gets up in her crate and turns around and shifts but she's fine in there until we get up.

--Rhena, owner of
Juno, White German Shepherd, female b 10-15-2008, adopted 01-05-2009

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page