Over-socialization? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Over-socialization?

Have been taking Lainey to a refresher class weekly since she finished Puppy Kindergarten. After Puppy Kindergarten, she came in class recall sesions. As we've gone on, she has started to go to the other dogs and people in the room instead of coming to me. The "happy voice", clapping, treats don't work. The trainer says she is too friendly and shouldn't be taken off lead unless I know the dogs she will be with because she is fearless and friendly enough to ignore any "unfriendly dog" signs and will just go charging up to another dog. Is this something she'll outgrow as she gets older? I wouldn't normally take her off-lead anyway unless it was one or two dogs I knew, but to be told I won't even be able to do that is a little disheartening. I don't want her in a dog fight either but how can I teach her to be less friendly without making her fearful or aggressive? In a way, I'm thrilled she is so friendly. Have I created a "monster" so to speak? Should I jsut wait it out and see what happens in time?

Kim (MSPCA Vol.), Lainey (Lainey Express Destiny Ryanhaus) and Beau (formerly Booker GSD/Lab?- Rescue)

(At Rainbow Bridge) Vegas- Our Gentle Giant R.I.P. 2000-2008 Meisha - Moo Moo R.I.P. 1990-2000-All GSDs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 10:46 PM

Re: Over-socialization?

I would continue to work on the recall with distractions. The trainer is correct to tell you to keep her on lead at all times unless you know the dogs that are around. I have the type of dog that is reactive to the happy, friendly, bounding dogs that are loose. I am working on this but it is very frustrating when dogs are loose in places that they should not be. It is fantastic that she is friendly and you are training her. I am a first time GSD owner and I have made many mistakes! In my opinion you are on the right track, just continue training. Maybe some others with more experience can answer more of your questions.
Good luck!

Terri

Ruger vom Kraftwerk- Black GSD 5/06
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 11:42 PM
Banned

i would work on the recall without distractions in the begining.
i would slowly add in all kinds of distractions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 02:26 AM
Crowned Member

She needs to be on leash so she can't get into trouble with the other dogs. You also need to be much more attractive to her by either using food or a toy and by doing very short recalls so she has success.

Elaine and the herd
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 04:42 PM
Knighted Member

I know how you feel!

I'm still having that same problem with Dakota in obedience class and we are doing level 3.

I can set up and recall Dakota the width of a baseball outfield with 100% success. But get her in class with dogs lined up and she bolts towards the other dogs. A recall from the instructor playing tug with her is excellent, but there are no other dogs around.

The insturctors have commented that she is friendly and a hearding dog and the dogs lined up are too much for her to handle. Next week we are going to be doing a tunnel recall with dogs lined up on both sides. We are not going to participate as Dakota cannot handle this, but we will be in the line-up where I will be working my hardest on Watch Me.

Am I disappointed and discouraged. Yes I am, but I'm quickly lifted when I'm stopped by strangers in various situations that tell me how well behaved my dog is.

One thing that I can tell you that we do go off leash hiking and she has never ran off towards a dog while we are walking. We call her and she stays with us. If I were to put her is a sit stay and then call her as a dog was walking by - game over for me. My daughter took her to agility and not once did Dakota run towards another dog, or even think about it.

Hang in there and follow the advice of your instructor.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 04:54 PM
Master Member

I would also work on the recall. Dozer is very socialized and loves everyone. When he starts running towards someone or another dog I call him/whistle and he comes back to me everytime.
I would not try to make your dog less friendly.

Jess
Dozer (9/23/08-GSD),
Scooter (12/26/03- Cairn Terrier)
Sadie (7/24/2004- Carin Terrier)
Mylo (6/99 Maine Coon Kitty)
Ally (8/12/99 Ragdoll Mix Kitty)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted By: doggiedadi would work on the recall without distractions in the begining.
i would slowly add in all kinds of distractions.
+1

<span style="color: blue">The more people I meet the more I like my dog.
-Author Unknown</span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page