Can you spend too much time with your puppy? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Can you spend too much time with your puppy?

I know puppies and dogs love to be with their humans but I'm starting to think I've overdone it. I don't work so I'm home all day. I'm a real homebody and am happy to only leave home once a week for groceries and Rogan goes with us. We use this time to socialie him as we live in the country and he doesn't see any people or other dogs (except family and friends who visit). So he has only been left alone twice (for a few hours) since we got him, at 6 weeks old. Whats got me worried is that we're going away for the 1st week-end in May and he's going to have to go to the kennel. I'm feeling sick about how he's going to feel being left there. We did take him last week for a 1/2 day and he's going next week for a full day and then I'm going to try to leave him overnight for 1 night (if I can bear it) before he has to be left for 3 days/2 nights. He did not like his 1/2 day visit. He looked scared when we left him and was beyond excited when we came back to get him. Any opinions?

Wendy

Rogan GSD DOB August 10/08
Kabe GSD Nov 95 - July 08
Nikki GSD Mar 94 - May 05
Rogan's feline friends Toby, Hossa, Sadie and Angel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 12:02 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Can you spend too much time with your puppy?

I have been there done that. I work and come home for lunch so Brady since a pup was ina crate for total of 8 hrs
My dh and I went to Bahamas for my ungrateful sisters wedding
we put our dogs in a kennel for a week (first time away for more then 4 hrs at a time)
Brady would not look at me for 2 days then we got back into routine he was fine.

It depends on the dog and if we go away again certified bonded pet sitter will be at the house

Dawn
GSRNE Volunteer
"A dog a day keeps the Doctor away!"

proudly owned by:
Brady von Barren Berg, CGC GSD 5/4/05
Cooper von Nordosten, GSD 12/27/10
Missy, Chocolate Lab 3/9/03
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 12:13 PM
Master Member

I'd say you're doing right by trying to introduce him to the kennel and build up your periods of time.

I'd try not to worry if I were you. When you leave the dog leave calmly and don't let yourself get upset and have a long emotional good bye or anything like that. Your mood will only rub off on him.

I doubt you've really spent too much time with your pup, but they do have to accept you being away from them for periods of time. I've never had any separation anxiety problems but I'd imagine it could lead to that if you have him by your side 24/7 and never show him that you WILL be coming back!!

In the end I'd do my best not to worry. He'll be fine! Hopefully you'll have him at a good kennel where he can have some good playtime and stuff.

One other piece of advice is maybe to enroll in an obedience class. It'll give you another way to socialize and an obedient dog is always great to have around!

Christian

The Brat Pack:

- GSD Marshall (10/2007)
- Adopted Collie/Terrier Jack (8/2008)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 12:15 PM
Knighted Member

Is not having one of your except family or friends who visits, come and stay at your place for the weekend not an option?

OTCH SG1 (CAN) Deejay von Hausnobilis UD HIT CGN
~A Well-Balanced Dog has Titles at Both Ends~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fayanna vom Wildhaus CGN
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

I am hoping my son will be able to come and stay at our house that week-end but it's not definite. I should have also mentioned that Rogan will be 8 mths old in 2 days. I do still want him to have "practice" stays at the kennel because I'm sure at some point in his life he'll need to stay in one. I'm thinking it's better to introduce it to him while he's young.

Wendy

Rogan GSD DOB August 10/08
Kabe GSD Nov 95 - July 08
Nikki GSD Mar 94 - May 05
Rogan's feline friends Toby, Hossa, Sadie and Angel
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 12:46 PM
Elite Member

I work from home and my girl is out with me most of the day, but I still make sure to give her some alone time - like I'll take the trash out and leave her in the house (takes 5 minutes) and then she knows I'm coming back. We had to go on a trip for a few days for the first time since we got her the other day (she's 4 months old now) and we had a friend stay at the house and take care of her. When we left we pretended like it was any other time, and she did just fine. Good luck!! Just don't be too needy or worried around him because he'll definitely pick up on it and he could get separation anxiety.

Minnie - CGC
Tanner
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 01:58 PM
Knighted Member

I would never leave a pup at a Kennel, the damage that could happen could take years to fix, never mind the health concerns.
If it was something that was so important that I had to attend, and could not have family or friends stay and watch the pup.
I would do as Dawn as said go for a certified bonded pet sitter at the house.

OTCH SG1 (CAN) Deejay von Hausnobilis UD HIT CGN
~A Well-Balanced Dog has Titles at Both Ends~

Fayanna vom Wildhaus CGN
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 03:27 PM
Master Member

I am also home with our pups all the time except for shopping/errands. Last fall, Boss (who was then a 14 month old pup), had never been left alone longer than 4 hours when my husband had a health emergency. I was at the hospital ER for 14 hours and worried about how Boss (and the house) would be when I returned home. He was VERY happy to see me but all was fine and I think he must have just snoozed the whole time I was gone. It is good to have them used to some time alone since you never know what emergencies can come up in life. But it is also very amazing sometimes how adaptable they can be. Whenever we have a planned absence we have always arranged to have someone stay at our house. If you do have to leave your boy at a kennel it is great you are trying to prepare him for it. Good Luck!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 03:27 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

An 8 month old pup is not too young to go to a kennel, but maybe this isn't a great kennel. And I think spending lots of time with your puppy is a good thing, but you also need to get him used to being by himself, either in a crate, or confined in a safe place.

I started taking Halo to daycare as soon as she met the age requirements, which was at 15 weeks old. She goes twice a week, and the place I take her is also a boarding kennel, so when we go out of town, the dogs will stay there. She LOVES it, so much so that when we get there I hand the leash over and she runs through the door into the back with whoever, without a backwards glance at me, lol! She can't wait to go have some fun.

They have several supervised play sessions a day with dogs grouped by age, size, and activity level, so she gets interaction with other people and other dogs in a safe way. The playgroups are small, and afterwards each dog goes back to their own private room. So in addition to the socialization aspect, she's in a secure place getting some time alone away from us and from Keefer, and creating positive associations with the kennel where she'll be spending a week every year or two.

If you don't have a really good kennel nearby, or you don't feel like it's a good environment for your dog due to his personality, a pet sitter is a good option. But either way, you should get him used to spending some time alone.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 04:22 PM
Master Member

Which part of Ontario are you in? I've been taking my dogs to the same kennel for years (their first visit is usually around 5 months of age) and it's excellent. If it's not too far away for you, then I'd be happy to recommend it.

Cheryl

Caesar von Nadar (Ronan)

Jaeger, SchH 2, HIT (May 2004-June 2014)
Keeva, CGN, HIT (April 2002-Aug. 2015)
Luther (Aug. 2014-Nov. 2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page