Public Reaction to Sarge - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Public Reaction to Sarge

Here's an updateged picture of Sarge, he's really getting big now, and will respond to commands reliablity and with complete confidence.He's about 5 months old now and I socialize him every chance I get. He is known by name at the local Lowes, and Home Depot.

He normally readilly accepts petting, but it's funny to see peoples reactions when his ears go back when they approach, which happens on occasion. it doesn't take much for them to recoil!! it's usually not a big deal - and Sarge isn't being agressive (his ears go back when I pet him on the head etc... no biggie) he's just generally dis-interested, or not overly happy at the crowd that always gathers around him. he always keeps an eye on me for approval, he's TOTALLY centered on me.

99.9% of the time, people comment on how handsome he is, how big his paws are and how well mannered he is. Is this the norm? They don't comment on how "cute" he is, or how "sweet" he is.. it's "wow, thats a good lookin' dog" - or "he sure is going to be big" or they want to know about his bloodlines, etc... - and it's always followed by them moving in to pet him. I have yet to take him in a store and not have him generate a crowd of people.
Is this normal? Seems like there are a number of people that get a reaction of concern over getting bit or whatever.

I'd be curious to know how normal this reaction is.

thanks!

German Shepherd - Victors Comic Soldier, AKA "Sarge" Born 11-29-2008
Cocker Spaniel - Castles Yummy Biscuit, AKA "Biscuit" Born 11-24-2001
Yorkshier Terrier - Misty's Princess PooPoo, AKA Chloe Born 04-30-2008
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 06:57 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Public Reaction to Sarge

We used to have the same thing when Rocky was a pup. However, when we took him on vaction last yar it was a little different now, he is ful grown (I hope) and about 90 lbs.

Danielle

Mom to:
Rocky - 3 year old Black GSD
3 Skin Kids
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 06:59 PM
Elite Member

Well I think he is a big adorable honey bear!!! My dogs flip their ears back when they are being puppyish. It's not a sign of aggression at all, like flattening the ears when snarling.

My boy Aik is 95 pounds and when I walk him in public, he too, draws a crowd. He is polite but aloof to his fans. I think that people are attracted to and sometimes awed by gsds. They are regal, powerful, handsome dogs with a history of working in fields that require strength and bravery. Must go back to the whole Rin Tin Tin mystique!

I always wish I could show these folks what Aik is like at home--which is a big goofball. You picture of Sarge wiggling his legs in the air is classic! They are amazingly sweet dogs so attuned to us, people who don't get to experience a gsd are really missing out!

Jennifer (belly rubs to Sarge!)

Jennifer

Aik vom Haus Gold "The Rock" Age 11

Zuzu--gsd DOB 4-21-09. Naughty n' nice

Lucy, Black GSD 2/1997-12-25-2008.
" T'was Heaven with you Here."

Dweezil, WGSD. RIP, 13
Moon, WGSD. RIP , 12
Shining found treasures both.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 07:33 PM

Ears back/down is (often) a sign of submission, not aggression. Your average person wouldn't know this so it is understandable they might think otherwise.

I think it is overall a good sign if you are looking for social dog. So Sarge is doing just fine--you just have to educate the masses. Let us know how that goes...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 07:52 PM
Crowned Member

I got the "wow, look at those paws, she's going to be HUGE" comment all the time...it got to the point that I was just like "seriously, the breeder said she'd only get pomeranian size?"

It's annoying, but you get used to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tiffany; mom to:
Annabelle "the Diva"- GSD born 9/21/08
Duncan- Shep Mix adopted on 2/14/00 TDI
The kitty amigos: Simon, Alley and Mia
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 07:54 PM
Master Member

Just curious, how do you get him in Lowe's & Home Depot? LOL

Most people say how good looking my boys are, we usually meet people on a walk & they certainly can't say how good they are on their leashes
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

LOL, how do I get them in? I just walk in with 'em. I figure if they don't want me there, they'll let me know. So far, it's not been an issue. Of course I've not tried to walk into Wal-mart with him, I do know better than that!!

BUT, those places that I've found online that people say will accept pets get my business. I don't like going into wal-mart unless I have to - but they're so big that can't be avoided any more.

He sure is a happy dog. eager to please, ready to learn, my only regret is that I waited so long to get a gsd!

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 11:06 PM
Master Member

I did not know that any store other than Pet Smart would let you bring in a dog, other than a service dog.

Again, not that I'd take my boys. Picture a bull in a china shop, LOL
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Well, there's no "pets allowed" sign on the front door, but I had head from a number of websites and most Lowes and Home Depots will "tolerate" well behaved pets. I was a little worried myself, so I actually called my local stores to see if it was okay.

After speaking with the manager of the store, the reponses I got were something along "well, people bring them in all the time - so I don't care as long as they're behaving okay. If it becomes a problem with a pet owner, we ask them to leave their dog in the vehicle or at home, depending on the weather"

Anoher great place I've found you can take your pet to socialize is the local feed store or farm-supply store. We live on the fringe of town,so there are a few small mom-and-pop stores around that I have to visit for various reasons. Any time I'm in a store like that I ask what their policy on pets is in the store (usually at checkout, so they remember that I am a paying customer) - most of them are happy to allow you to bring your dog in, as long as it is behaved.

I can tell you that teaching sarge to sit, down, stay and walk in a heel has been critical to his acceptance in most businesses.

The coolest part about it all? the list of things that don't even phase him anymore, but USED to freak him out

Traffic in parking lots
automatic doors
tires moving on a gravel surface
water being splashed as vehicles drove by
the "ding" of some business doors when you open them
shopping carts or those bug lumber carts
kids running up to him

the list goes on and on, and through it all, he is always focused on me and my commands.. I'm very proud!

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Sorry for the spelling errors in my last post... it's early on Sunday morning here and I'm not 100% yet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page