Indoor games... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Indoor games...

It is starting to get really cold now and we won't be playing outside so much anymore. Any ideas of games we can play inside the house that will stimulate his mind and even his body?

I hate winter!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 12:20 PM

Re: Indoor games...

We play hide and seek with mini marshmellos. Also we have trails of plain brown puffed rice that they follow. our guys love it and the word hide and seek really gets them excited.

mtman
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

That sounds interesting. I will try it tonight! Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 07:41 PM
Master Member

just curious but how cold does it get in south africa??
it's been rainy here so we have been playing inside, lots of catch the ball, hiding a treat under a cup, practicing basic obedience, teaching new tricks, and a visit to the pet store just to get out of the house!!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 11:35 PM

We play hide and go seek on really cold days. If there are two of us, one of us distracts her, the other one hides and then calls her, she runs around to find the one who's hiding.

If it's just me, I distract her by throwing a container (kong, whatever,...) with a little peanut butter in it and then running and hiding while she's going after the container. We both end up running around the house quite a bit, it helps her with her recall, and there's not too much chance of anyone getting hurt or nipped at. (She's still a pup so she can still run around without knocking things over.)

We also do a fair amount of tug of war indoors and that seems to wear her out quite a bit. We also do a little but of "find it" -- "hide" a treat (in plain sight, basically) and tell her to go find it. We make this really easy for right now 'cause she's so young, but I'm sure an older dog could handle harder hiding places.

We have a training center that offers indoor play sessions a few times a week. We have to pay for it, but it's worth it since we really can't recreate the rough and tumble puppy play.

Good luck surviving winter!

--Rhena, owner of
Juno, White German Shepherd, female b 10-15-2008, adopted 01-05-2009

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

It gets pretty cold during winter. There are places in the world where it is much colder but here in SA we're not set up for even a little cold. Indoors your teeth even clatter if you don't have a heater on 24/7 and most places don't come with built in heaters. I suppose it is because it is warm most of the time and we just cringe through winter times longing for the next HOT summer! Hehe.

I guess for people who live in Canada and such our temperature would feel like summer. It usually ranges between -1 to 5 during the cold nights and 9 to 15 during the cold days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page